Full-Time- Location: US, Remote
he Humane League is an international animal protection organization ending the abuse of animals raised for food. At The Humane League, we foster a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, The Humane League has strategically positioned itself for growth. We are currently a team of 70+ committed individuals, dispersed across the country and the world. We are looking for a Copywriter to bring our written word to the next, impactful, level to drive a difference for the animals we work for every day.
We want you because you have a mission and values-centered approach to your life and your work. You are ideal for this position because you have a professional experience in copywriting and/or journalism, with a proven track record in crafting compelling, high-impact and grammatically sound copy for a range of audiences and mediums.
Your position is pivotal in ensuring The Humane League communicates with one unified, professional and persuasive voice. This role is key to creating, and editing, world class, inspiring, engaging, behaviour-changing and action-invoking communications. Within this role, you are responsible for generating the powerful words and slogans that accompany our visual assets. To start, this position reports to the VP, Communications. This is subject to change as our team grows.
This is a full-time, remote position based in the US. We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.
- Ensure we have one, unified voice across the organization.
- Produce concise, catchy, and grammatically correct content.
- Write and edit compelling, consistent copy across all platforms and mediums—including emails, brochures, advertisements, social media campaigns, videos and more.
- Develop and adhere to THL’s style guide and brand voice.
- Collaborate closely with designers on projects to generate persuasive copy concepts.
- Propose copy concepts, present underlying strategic thinking, and incorporate feedback from stakeholders.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects with short deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Help relaunch THL’s website (and future microsites) with powerful, action-inducing storytelling.
- Collaborate with the other departments to develop a variety of marketing materials, including, but not limited to:
- Creating evergreen and ‘campaign-specific’ fundraising materials
- Drafting annual and quarterly donor reports
- Editing emails and direct mail appeals
- Grassroots organizing
- Creating compelling copy for brochures and leaflets used by our local teams
- Writing captivating event promos
- Owning and crafting our bi-weekly e-news—from editorial content strategy to storytelling and messaging
- Owning and crafting our “Discover” content (‘blog’) via our website.
- Contributing to a magazine / organizational editorial.
- Creating content for infographics explaining our campaigns and our organization.
- Strategically crafting stories and messages for social media, videos and other mediums as needed.
- Turning campaign jargon into compelling copy for our supporters, the media, and corporations.
- Contribute to the overarching campaign angle and assets such as leaflets/postcards, social media, newspaper ads, Facebook ads, Op-eds, and website copy for campaign specific microsites.
- Superb verbal and written communications skills, with a keen eye for grammar.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others.
- Experience in producing digital and printed copy.
- Familiarity with design principles, typography, layout, in order to facilitate clear communication with design.
- Familiarity with the nuances of social media writing, including the use of hashtags, emojis, memes, and acronyms.
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO).
- Fluency in English.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in marketing, communications and/or English.
- Experience in managing content within a CMS platform (e.g. Contentful or WordPress)
- Experience with a CRM platform (e.g. Every Action, Mail Chimp)
- Expertise in the AP Stylebook.
Starting salary $42,000, additional consideration to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, working from home, flexible holiday and vacation time, room for advancement, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!