Copy Editor – Professional Services at Guidewire
Copy Editor – Professional Services (US-Remote)
- TORONTO / US REMOTE
- PROFESSIONAL SERVICES /
- FIXED TERM
Are you the type of person who enjoys debating the value of the Oxford comma at dinner parties? Do you love helping others find the missing words and missed meaning in their materials?
We need an experienced Copy Editor in our Education Services team who is passionate about elevating the quality, readability, and consistency of our training content. You bring a proven ability to efficiently edit technical copy. You excel at asking questions that the writer may not have considered. You understand that changing the words can change the meaning in unexpected ways, so you are diligent about understanding the intent of the copy that you are editing. You also know how to balance editing demands with time constraints.
In this role, you will review a myriad of deliverables – everything from training presentations to lab exercises to exam questions to data sheets and other client-facing communications. You will help establish standards to improve consistency, repeatability, and translation efficiency. You will collaborate with team members in Education Services, Professional Services, and supporting subject matter experts (SMEs) from other departments to make improvements without sacrificing context. Our training content and communications must be clear, compelling, and persona-focused.
The Education Services team is growing to keep pace with Guidewire’s digital transformation. We design, develop, and maintain content that teaches our customers, partners, employees, and third parties how to implement and integrate our highly configurable products. We also build certifications that validate competency to improve implementation efficiency and quality. Your work will help us elevate the learner’s experience and Guidewire’s brand.
Our messaging is clear, compelling, and customer-focused, and the editor/copywriter ensures that all communications provide strong, concise content that maintains the company’s voice and style.
- Review all copy written by the team
- Define and enforce voice and style standards that improve the consistency and effectiveness across the team
- Establish processes that facilitate efficiency and reduce rework
- Set up tools and processes for effective data management and reporting
- Develop metrics and reporting to track progress and identify trends
- Quickly gain enough understanding of our training topics to edit for grammar and style without sacrificing context
- Effectively estimate level of effort and turnaround timelines for each request
- Help prioritize requests based on need and impact
- Consistently complete quality deliverables on time, as promised
- Build strong relationships with a variety of content developers, designers, and SMEs with a wide range of writing skills
- Collaborate with geographically distributed teams
- Help the team honor corporate voice and style guidelines
- Comfortable providing feedback on readability, clarity, tone, consistency, grammar, and word choice
- Recommend and implement improvements to our work, processes, and toolsets
- Efficiently, effectively, and continuously incorporate lessons learned to reduce/avoid future issues
- Adapt to change and promote it, to help the company and team grow
- Help train others to strengthen the team’s writing prowess and impact
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Marketing/Advertising or related field
- Fluent in English with a thorough understanding of all aspects of written U.S. English and how it differs from other English varieties
- 8+ years of professional experience
- 5+ years of professional, full-time editing experience
- Proven experience editing both technical content and marketing materials to ensure readable syntax and formatting, correct grammar, valid terminology usage, proper trademark conventions, and adherence to corporate styles, standards, and tone
- Expert knowledge of both The Chicago Manual of Style and the Microsoft Manual of Style
- Experience creating and maintaining specialized style and usage guidelines
- Skilled at determining the level of editing required for specific types of content
- Proven ability to understand the basic concepts of enterprise software applications
- Excellent collaboration skills with subject-matter experts, product owners, technical architects, and customers
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Track record of continuous improvement in the work you do and the deliverables you create
- Able to build strong relationships and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive interest in learning about software products and their features and benefits
- Stellar written communication skills and strong verbal communication skills
- A flexible, enthusiastic, collaborative work style
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Skills and experience in any of these areas is a plus:
- Experience reviewing technical copy, ideally for training or services content
- Experience working with training tools such as Articulate, Captivate, or uPerform
- Knowledge of Scrum/Agile practices
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Italian, German, or Japanese
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. 380 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 700+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!