Copy Editor at Daily Kos
Location: Remote within the U.S.
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. We produce news you can do something about. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are looking for a Copy Editor to join our team! Under the direction of the Content Services Manager, this quick-thinking, detail-oriented, language-loving person will support our Content Division and perform general copy editing and proofreading. We’re looking for a person who is comfortable working with writers who have different levels of experience and is willing to help them shape their passion and knowledge on a subject into sharp, impactful storytelling. The Copy Editor will have the opportunity to polish and perfect news and analysis pieces written by staff writers and community contributors, ensure that the site has a consistent and professional tone and style, and bolster Daily Kos’ mission.
Daily Kos is a 24/7/365 news operation and our writers produce content every day of the week. Hours for this position may vary.
- Work with Content Services Manager, Managing Editors, and copy editing team to copy edit, fact check, and proof stories published to Daily Kos
- Review content for proper punctuation, grammar, and syntax
- Refine headlines, ledes, image selections, and photo captions
- Help create and update in-house style rules
- Use constructive feedback and knowledge sharing to develop writers and improve performance
- 4+ years of copy editing experience for print and/or digital publications
- Experience working in a newsroom environment a big plus
- Superb editing and proofreading skills
- Journalism or English coursework or certification
- Thorough knowledge of AP Stylebook
- Keen eye and strong mastery of English grammar
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic environment full of distractions
- Capable of working quickly and accurately under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent news judgment
- Committed to providing outstanding customer service
- Fantastic all-around communicator
- Comfortable with a virtual working environment
- An interest in progressive politics and news
- Be tech and internet savvy (we use Google Docs, Slack, Dropbox, Asana, and lots of other tools that make work life easier)
Nice to have:
- Perfectionist tendencies and impeccable attention to detail
- Experience editing writers while maintaining voice and tone
- Strong feelings about the Oxford comma
- Familiarity with Daily Kos and our work
Salary Range: $52,000 – $57,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Content Services Manager. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, remote worker stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid parental/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!