Copy Editor, Greatist
Healthline.com is the fastest growing health information brand, the 2nd largest health site in the US (per comScore) and reaches over 125 million people a month globally. The business is high growth and solidly profitable, employing ~300 people in San Francisco, New York and the UK. We are a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world.
Healthline is a certified Great Place to Work and has been named to the Top 5 in Ad Age’s Best Places to Work in 2019. Check out these links to learn more about what it’s like to work at Healthline Media.
GPTW review / Top 5 in Ad Age’s Best Places to Work / LinkedIn
About the Team
Do you not only love editing, but also care about what you’re editing? Are you passionate about health and wellness? Helping people? All of the above?
Healthline produces a range of content under the health and wellness umbrellahealth-related news stories, lifestyle articles on topics such as fitness and nutrition, and in-depth pieces on health conditions and treatments.
Greatist a part of Healthline Media is on a mission to change the way people think about health, fitness and overall well-being. It’s an amazing time to be a part of our company as we focus on growing our reach with our proven quality-first editorial model.
About the Role
This role will focus on copy editing content for Greatist.com.
As the final set of eyes on articles, you’re responsible for maintaining the highest level of quality that separates Healthline from the rest. And we’re obsessed with constantly creating better and better content. You’ll not only enforce the (style) rules, but also help set new ones.
You’ll need excellent communication skills to hit deadlines and resolve roadblocks. The role is ideal for someone who likes a fast-paced environment, is able to bounce from project to project, and thrives on collaboration.
This team is remote, but will work closely with other copy editors under the Healthline umbrella.
What Are Your Qualifications?
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or related field
- 2+ years of copy editing experience
What You’ll Do and How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Edit lifestyle and clinical content for style, tone, and flow.
- Correct grammar, punctuation, and formatting errors.
- Conform content to in-house style.
- Review sources for quality and proper citation format.
- Communicate with editors and medical reviewers to resolve inaccuracies.
- Perform quality assurance on published content.
- Provide feedback to editors on quality of work.
- Update in-house style guide and documentation.
- Contribute to project work as assigned.
We Are Excited About You Because You Have:
- a firm understanding of AP style and APA formatting
- a hawk-like ability to catch errant punctuation and grammatical mistakes
- a knack for making content flow
- a love of language
- an astute sense of appropriate style, voice, and tone
- strong skills in meeting deadlines and prioritizing workload
- high editorial standards
- experience with tracked changes in Microsoft Word
- experience with WordPress
Why You’ll Love Working at Healthline
- You’ll hear us talk a lot about culture and the LEADER mindset at Healthlinebecause we know our people, and how we work together, drive our success and differentiate the impact we have on the world.
- Our CULTURE embraces: High Expectations, Feedback, Improvement, Recovery, and Celebration.
- Our MINDSET brings to work: Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Discipline, Effort, and Respect.
- These BEHAVIORS reflect the values that are important to us: Empathy, Collaboration, Ingenuity, Integrity, Joyful/Healthful Living.
- We’re a purpose-driven organization with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world.
- We work together to achieve our mission with humility and genuine respect for each member of our team.
- We’re smart, innovative, and inspiring changemakers.
- Transparency and honesty earn us the trust of each other and our users.
- We empathize with our users and are committed to being their true ally in their lifelong pursuit of health and well-being.
- We have fun, live well, and promote good health. We’re proving that you can work hard and be happy.
- Our smart, experienced leadership team wants to do it right and is open to new ideas.
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
Does this sound like it was written for you? Excellent! Please apply and let’s explore this together.
Healthline Media is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended and applicable state and local law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination on the basis of these factors. If you require an accommodation in the application process, please advise your recruiter.