Copy Editor, Shadow And Act
Location: (Multiple states)
Department: Blavity Inc.
Min. Experience: Mid Level
Blavity, Inc. is looking for a part-time copy editor for Shadow And Act.
Shadow And Act is the premier digital destination for Black entertainment news, from film and TV to webseries and Broadway. S&A’s copy editor will be the last line of defense against poor grammar and misspellings. He or she will also be responsible for knowing and enforcing S&A’s editorial handbook and style guide.
This role is part-time and remote.
What you’ll do…
- checking text to ensure it is well written, logically structured and in the right style for the intended audience
- correcting grammar and spelling
- ensuring the text is in line with the publisher’s ‘house style’ – for example, that hyphens, capital letters and optional spellings are used consistently
- checking facts
- raising queries with the author
- being alert to any potential legal problems in the text, such as libellous statements or breach of copyright, and discussing them with the publisher
- Being alert to any potentially prejudiced, ableist and homophobic language, removing it immediately and flagging it with the author and editorial team
- checking that illustrations and captions are correct
What you have…
- 2-3 years experience in a digital publishing
- excellent written English, including good spelling and grammar
- a meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- the ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- a love of and feel for language
More About Us…
Blavity Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company. We have assembled an amazing team of passionate, high-energy & focused team-players who cultivate our community and advance our strategic direction. Blavity is changing the landscape of media representation by building the world’s largest digital community for Millennials of Color. Blavity was founded in 2014 around a simple idea: Enable Millennials of Color to tell their own stories.
Today, we average 3 Million monthly unique visitors, generate 30-50 Million monthly social impressions, and distribute our message across all major social media platforms. We are based in Downtown LA with team members working across the world. Blavity Inc. includes the following brands: Blavity.com, 21ninety.com, ShadowandAct.com, TravelNoire.com, and AfroTech.com.