Copy Chief at Great Minds
Part-time Copy Chief
- Remote job
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Copy Chief.
Great Minds brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs almost 600 people.
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
Location and Hours
This is a remote, permanent, part-time position with an estimated 15 to 20 hours per week. While the schedule is flexible because the work is deadline-based, the Copy Chief will be expected to establish regularly scheduled availability between 9am and 5pm in their home time zone to communicate with colleagues in a timely manner and attend one to three hours of virtual meetings per week.
Great Minds®, a rapidly growing organization that develops world-class curricula for Prekindergarten through Grade 12, seeks part-time Copy Chiefs for the Humanities Professional Development and Implementation Services team. We are looking for experienced editors who are excited to help teachers and school leaders implementing Great Minds’ English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®. Candidates with experience in the education field are highly encouraged to apply.
The Copy Chief for Wit & Wisdom Professional Development and Implementation Services (PDIS) reports to the Lead Copy Chief, Humanities. The Copy Chief contributes to the development of Wit & Wisdom PDIS products by ensuring consistency in language, voice, and presentation within and across projects. As the final editorial layer before content moves to production, the Copy Chief focuses on readability, clarity, concision, consistency, and coherence. With deep knowledge of the project’s task, purpose, and audience, the Copy Chief then carries files through the production process by acting as the bridge between content development and production. The Copy Chief resolves copy edits, resolves proofreading edits, liaises with design and layout, and completes final checks. This is a highly collaborative role that requires excellent communication skills.
In 2007, a group of teachers and education leaders founded Great Minds with the goal of developing a content rich and knowledge-based education for all American schoolchildren. The core belief at Great Minds is that every child is capable of greatness, and our mission is to ensure that all students have access to a quality education and the full range of liberal arts and sciences. To achieve this goal, we continue to bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Eureka Math®, Wit & Wisdom, and PhD Science™, all give school teachers the materials and instructional supports they need to take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences.
Great Minds curricula is being used with great success in schools across the nation, and students and teachers in every corner of our country have felt the impact of our work. True to our founding, we seek to do this work with the collaboration of a team of teacher-writers who can share their passion, their knowledge, and their expertise to create curriculum that is content-rich, knowledge-based, and invites students to think deeply about the world around them.
- For an audience of teachers and leaders, edit a variety of projects, such as facilitator guides for professional development sessions, handouts, slide presentations, information sheets, and implementation resources. Edits focus on the following items:
- clarity and concision of the content
- coherence across sections and components of a project
- consistency of language, style, and voice within and across projects
- readability of the content
- appropriateness for the task, purpose, and audience
- Resolve copy edits, consulting with the project’s content lead, the Lead Copy Chief, and the other PDIS Copy Chief as needed.
- Resolve proofreading edits, consulting with the project’s content lead, the Lead Copy Chief, and the other PDIS Copy Chief as needed.
- Complete the final check of files before delivery to the end user.
- Record frequent mistakes or issues made by the content development team, copy editors, proofreaders, and layout associates. Then raise these to the attention of the Lead Copy Chief.
- Collaborate with the Lead Copy Chief and the other PDIS Copy Chief to norm language, voice, and presentation across projects.
- Execute and ensure a successful task- and deadline-driven workflow.
- Comfort working remotely
- Ability to prioritize edits under time constraints
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Flexible thinking
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Organizational skills
- Commitment to high standards
- Academic and growth mindset
- Proactive problem solving
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Receptivity to multiple viewpoints
- Ability to contribute to big-picture vision
- Genuine kindness, sincerity, and empathy
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!