Controller- Director of Accounting at Prosper Marketplace
Controller- Director of Accounting
- SAN FRANCISCO, CA OR REMOTE
- FINANCE – FINANCIAL OPERATIONS
- FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE
Since 2005, Prosper has helped advance financial well-being for our users! With over 1 million users gaining access to $19 billion in loans, Prosper is the first peer-to-peer marketplace lender in US. It is built on a simple idea: connect people who want to borrow money with those who have money to invest. We are believers of advancing financial well-being and are passionate about offering our customers a portfolio of products from HELOC to Personal Loans and Credit Card. Our diverse culture rewards accountability and cross functional teamwork because we believe that this this enables the kind of innovative thinking that will accelerate our mission.
We’re on a mission to hire the very best and are committed to creating exceptional employee experiences where everyone is respected and has access to equal opportunity. We realize that new ideas can come from everywhere. It is important to us that every hire connects with our vision, mission and core values. Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all!
- Accountability at all levels drives results
- Collaboration creates better solutions
- Excellence leads to longevity
- Diversity fuels our innovation
- Simplicity guides our user experience
- Integrity defines all our relationships
What We Need
Prosper is currently seeking a Controller. This position will report to the VP of Finance and will be based at our headquarters in San Francisco.
As Controller, you will be responsible for many aspects of general ledger related activities including ensuring the proper application of US GAAP to complex business transactions, the financial close process, and balance sheet account reconciliations. This position requires you to work with various cross-functional departments to correctly record various accounting activities. You will also interact with our external auditors for quarterly reviews and annual audits. We are looking for someone who has excellent problem solving skills and enjoys working in a challenging and fast–paced environment to support our continued success.
Problems You Will Solve
- Overall responsibility for the loan accounting, corporate accounting and treasury functions
- Own accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes in accordance with GAAP and internal policies
- Manage daily/weekly/monthly cashflow and liquidity forecasts
- Oversee daily cash inflows/outflows
- Apply appropriate GAAP accounting policies to general ledger entries and transactions related to various complex financial activities including loan origination and servicing, loans held for investment, consolidated securitizations, fair value adjustments, cash/investment holdings, etc.
- Interface with external auditors for quarterly reviews and annual audit
- Prepare/review monthly balance sheet and income statement flux variance analyses for management reporting
- Engage cross-functionally with various other departments/teams (ex. Capital Markets, Credit Risk, etc.)
- Work with product/engineering to resolve issues, develop requirements, prioritize, test and implement new technology and processes
- Be a “player-coach”
- Deliver on ad-hoc projects / deliverables as necessary
All About You
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration and be a CPA or equivalent; MBA a plus
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant accounting experience, preferably in a financial or technology business; 5+ years in a leadership role
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations and reporting requirements
- Experience in NetSuite or equivalent ERP system
- Strong intermediate Excel skills required (pivot tables, vlookup, advance financial formulas); SQL knowledge a plus
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization
- Experience managing relationships with external auditors
- A proven track record of process improvement and experience with financial systems and process change initiatives
- Excellent judgment and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to operate with substantial latitude in a fast-paced environment
- Strong leadership & managerial abilities
- Strong analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail a must
What We Offer
- The opportunity to collaborate with a team of creative, fun, and driven colleagues on products that have an immediate and significant impact on people’s lives
- The opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment with experienced industry leaders
- Flexible time off, comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) employer match, paid parental leave
- Wellness benefits including access to mental health resources, virtual HIIT and yoga workouts
- A bevy of other perks including Udemy access, childcare assistance, pet insurance discounts, legal assistance, and additional discounts through Perkspot
- The ability to work remotely in the United States
Prosper is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. Our philosophy as a business is to approach the Covid-19 situation with empathy and urgency. Prosper’s top priority is the health and safety of our employees and of the communities we serve, including our customers, partners, prospects, and candidates.
At Prosper, we’re looking for people with passion, integrity, and a hunger to learn. We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your unique skill set and diverse perspective will stand out and set you apart from other candidates. Prosper thrives with people who think outside of the box and aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo. We invite you to join us on our mission to advance financial well-being.
Prosper is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Prosper will consider for employment qualified applicants who are non-US citizens and will provide green card sponsorship.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!