Controller – ( Full Time | Virtual )
For more than a decade, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits, by ensuring the environments that surround them provide and promote good health. The Alliance, founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, operates as an independent 501c3 non-profit organization guided by its own Board of Directors. As one of the nation’s largest children’s health organizations focusing on combating childhood obesity, the Alliance utilizes the best available scientific evidence of programs, policies and practices that positively impact healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among youth. The Alliance’s current work directly impacts more than 25 million children, with a focus on low-income and minority populations who are at increased risk for poor health, obesity and other diseases. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.HealthierGeneration.org.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
Please note: all application questions are required and any application without adequate responses will not be considered.
The Controller will provide leadership and oversight for the accounting functions including standardization/process improvement, general ledger maintenance, cash, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, financial reporting, preparation for financial and any other types of audits, and internal/external client customer service communication. The Controller works collaboratively with the CFO and the Senior Financial Analyst (as directed by the CFO) to develop short- and long-range strategy and to ensure financial and operational stability
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain and team with the department to continually update the documented Financial Policies and Procedures kept on the Virtual HQ and monitor adherence to them.
- Evaluate and modify finalize day-to-day and financial close procedures.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and analysis of variances from budget and submit significant variance report to CFO for discussion.
- Design and create other financial reports from accounting software as requested / or as necessary.
- Monitor financial plans and new agreements are consistent with organizational budget and strategic plan; discuss any noticeable departures with CFO.
- Manage the development of annual and non-grant project budgets by direction of CFO; provide direct support to CFO and management team in the annual budget process.
- Manage Payroll related transactions, taxes and reconciliations.
- Prepare and post journal entries as needed.
- Manage and execute general ledger account reconciliations; direct more junior accounting staff on business expense and credit card reconciliations as appropriate.
- Manages the monthly closing and financial statement process to ensure timely results are communicated with the senior leadership team.
- Work closely with CFO to create, continually analyze and update allocation methodology – executing for maximum reimbursement and advantageous financial structure / overall financial health
- Prepare invoices from the Alliance as needed.
- Analyze and review all invoice entries and check payments, payroll reports and expense reports (for internal control and correct coding and proper authorization).
- Develop and motivate accounting staff.
- Oversee financial systems, lead external audit and maintain internal controls.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Meticulous attention to detail – demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness
- Complex problem solving abilities and critical thinking
- Outstanding organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills. Must use the utmost discretion in all presentations/correspondence and communication for staff, senior leaders, and Board of Directors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Confidently and effectively present information to non-accounting professionals.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a virtual team environment.
- Ability to lead when necessary but also able to work cohesively and accept direction/guidance from colleagues and other leaders.
- Ability to take very technical information (such as GAAP) and translate into easy to understand presentation with a strategic focus and a variety of audience in mind.
- Ability to proactively manage complex and competing work tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries and complaints
- Expertise in accounting (Financial Edge highly preferred) and travel and expenses software (Concur highly preferred); flexible with exploring other accounting software/tools which provide greater efficiency and/or effective and robust reporting.
- Advance level Excel skills (PivotTables, vlookup, macro, etc.).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance
- Advanced degree such as Master’s or CPA preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive financial management experience
- Experience in implementing a variety of automated software tools for quicker and more robust reporting and forecasting
- Experience in a grants funded environment or experience with activity based accounting / job cost coding necessary or similar approach
- Non-profit accounting or public accounting experience is preferred
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.