Educational Content Writer
Instructions for applying:
Please submit a brief cover letter with your application explaining why you believe you are the right fit for the role. Applications submitted without a cover letter will be rejected immediately.
Pedago is an education-technology company with a mission to democratize access to high quality education programs and career advancement opportunities. Smartly, our innovative learning system, offers a free, selective MBA degree, along with other disruptively affordable business and corporate training programs, and combines the best of traditional top MBA programs with the next generation of interactive online learning. We couple our learning programs with Smartly Talent, our career network and recruiting platform, where leading companies and innovative startups source our students and job candidates. Founded by the former CEO and fellow executives of Rosetta Stone, Pedago is a rapidly expanding company seeking candidates who thrive in a fast-paced environment with opportunity for growth.
Smartly Institute is looking for a Educational Content Writer- Technical Subjects.
In this role, you will create courses as part of Smartly Institute’s offerings in Computer Science and/or Data Science. You may also be called upon to contribute to our High School STEM project or MBA curriculum. This role involves breaking down complex concepts into their fundamental pieces and weaving them into clever, engaging educational lessons that are easily understood and digested for use in the real world. Successful content developers are self-starters and life-long learners who are detail-oriented, conscientious, manage their time well, and hit their deadlines.
- Research, design, and create short, witty educational lessons breaking difficult concepts into bite-sized chunks.
- Write, edit, and review content or supervise others who do this work, all while taking ownership of the work to ensure high-quality product output.
Other Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Pair with team members to give and receive constructive criticism and feedback to improve content and increase skill set.
- Plan, develop and design course outlines.
- Frequently participate in identifying reputable sources for content creation for assigned courses
- Occasionally participate in and contribute to prioritization planning for future content development
- During the writing and editing process, verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- When reading copy or proofing, detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax
- On occasion, work directly with Product leadership and our expert team of developers to propose suggested improvements to the Pedago suite of products.
- Serve as a content expert in meetings with high-level corporate clientele when needed
- Constantly meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent communication skills, imagination, and enthusiasm
- Strong analytical writing skills
- Ability to read, research and master new subject materials
- Strong editing and proofreading skills and a detail-oriented mindset
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and adjust quickly to shifting priorities
- Must have authorization to work in the United States.
- Teaching experience in a technical subject—data science, computer science, programming, mathematics
- Demonstrated experience writing educational content
- Master’s or PhD in a technical subject
- 3+ years writing and copy editing experience
- Hands-on experience with G Suite, Photoshop, Sketch, or other publishing tools
- Desire to work in a technology start-up company
This position is full time and can be located on-site in our Washington, D.C. office, our Harrisonburg, VA office, or remotely. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package:
- Competitive salary
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Paid time off
Pedago supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.