Content Specialist at FlexJobs
Locations: CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MN, NC, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA
Who We Are
Our mission is to improve the future of work by helping people find flexible jobs that make their lives better. We are committed to doing this internally and externally with integrity, intelligence, balance, communication, and care.
In the past 13 years, FlexJobs has established itself as the leader in the professional flexible job market to help job seekers connect with employers that offer these highly desired arrangements, as well as to help employers reach these candidates. We do this in a way that makes the job search experience easier, safer, and faster for job seekers, by utilizing both technology and human intelligence to provide a friendly, effective, and valuable service.
In terms of work flexibility, we also walk the talk! This is a remote job, as our entire team works remotely from locations all across the United States. Not only that, but having a great company culture is really important to us, and we’ve even been named one of Outside magazine’s Best Places to Work (2019) and Best Company Culture by Entrepreneur magazine (2018, 2017, and 2015). To learn more about our current team, you can explore our Team & Culture page .
Responsibilities of the Job – The Opportunity
We are looking for an experienced online content rock star to join our team. This position will work with the senior manager of content strategy to efficiently organize existing content and manage WordPress—including optimization and editing of pending posts. Responsibilities will also include writing engaging new content and cleaning up existing content. You will need to understand the importance of clean information, logical content structure and flow, the writing and editing process, holistic decision-making, and fine details. You’ll also need to believe deeply in the importance of working with super-smart people, have top-notch ethics, and possess a passion to support job seekers and employers.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a content marketing role and has a solid understanding of balancing the strategy behind our content with being a trusted resource for our readers. They will be a natural when it comes to challenging the information being edited and deciding if it answers the right question for the reader.
You will report to the senior content strategy manager and will be a member of the content team.
- 3-5 years of experience in web content development
- 3-5 years copy editing experience, based on Chicago and AP Style manuals
- Experience with content management systems (WordPress preferred)
- Strong journalistic, yet friendly, writing tone
- Familiar and up to date on current SEO trends and how they relate to content
- Experience working with a small and/or entrepreneurially spirited company
Bonus Points Given:
- SEO knowledge that includes an understanding of keywords but also goes slightly below the surface
- Experience in human resources or career advising
- Knowledge of company branding/marketing
- Experience compiling and actively managing a company and guest blogging style guide
Traits and Skills for This Role:
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to self-review, fine-tune the details, and create compelling content, while challenging your own ideas
- Ability to structure content and organize its flow from topic to subtopics in a logical and user-friendly fashion
- Understanding of the importance of keywords and keyword variations, but also understands how concepts are linked together
- Can successfully create long-form and short-form content that ranges from hard AP style to sensory writing
- An eye for detail regarding layout and formatting, with consideration to commonly used devices
- Ability to write compelling headlines that are well optimized for search but also entice website visitors to take action
- Strong research skills and the ability to successfully collaborate with internal teams when needed in order to gather information for an article
- Ability to work quickly and responsibly to meet deadlines and follow time lines
- A proactive learner who embraces the challenges of an ever-changing digital landscape
- Analytical skills
Traits Required of All Team Members, You Included:
- A sense of pride in your work
- A streak of perfectionism when it comes to details
- Being highly organized, responsible, and ethical
- Being proactive when it comes to asking questions, brainstorming, and working with colleagues
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- An appreciation and enthusiasm for the ability to work remotely
- Interest in a long-term position with a company that you’re proud to be a part of
- A fully functioning home office, including: high-speed internet access, a fast computer, and phone access
- A work environment in which you can really focus without distractions
How to Apply:
If this job description makes you feel as if it was written perfectly for you, then please apply! What we’ll need:
- An intro email/cover letter telling us why you want to work for FlexJobs (v. another company) and what makes you a great fit for this position
- A link to your portfolio of work or writing samples
- What hourly rate you would be comfortable with for a full-time position
- Complete this Pairin assessment
- A current resume in .doc, .docx, .pdf, markdown, or .txt
Applications can be sent through FlexJobs or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are selected to move forward, you may be required to do a background check.
FlexJobs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.
FlexJobs is also a veteran and military spouse-friendly employer. Our positions are perfectly structured for qualified candidates who meet this criteria and we have a workplace culture that supports their work and life
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!