Content Coordinator at Kialo
Kialo is the world’s largest argument mapping site: facilitating, capturing and visualizing the world’s hardest debates. Since our launch in late 2017, we have grown into a community with thousands of debates and millions of contributions. Included under the Kialo umbrella is Kialo Edu, a custom version of Kialo built specifically for educators – since launching in November 2019, it has seen great uptake, and is being used by educators worldwide to teach critical thinking and facilitate thoughtful classroom discussion. Kialo Pro, a version of Kialo built for businesses, is in the works and is already in use by companies during the development stage.
At Kialo, our mission is to make the world a more thoughtful place. With clear visualization of arguments and powerful, easy to use navigation tools, Kialo is a dynamic space for thoughtful discussion.
About the Role
We’re currently seeking Content Coordinators on a long-term contractor basis to join our remote team, to assist in the maintenance and development of content on the Kialo sites and help us build and maintain our growing community of users. You’ll join a diverse and vibrant team of Content Coordinators around the world and collaborate with other team members to develop and improve existing and new Kialo content.
Kialo prides itself on flexibility and space for personal growth; our Content Coordinators are given opportunities to explore a variety of different responsibilities as appropriate to their skills and interests, with scope to continually learn and develop. As this is a long-term freelancer contract, you are free to work hours that suit you, without being tied to traditional office hours.
Our rates begin at 28 USD/hr during our probationary training period, rising to 30 USD/hr once the training period is successfully completed, with scope to increase depending on our satisfaction with your work; this would equate to around $50-60k annually, contingent on hours worked. We are looking for full-time staff (35-40hrs/week), although during our probationary training period, we will require you for 20 hrs/week.
Our Content Coordinators begin with a six-week probationary period, during which we focus on training: learning our site, building familiarity with how Kialo debates evolve, and the nature of the user community we support. After this period, Content Coordinators are responsible for:
- Creating and maintaining high-quality demo debates and exemplifying use cases, both on the primary site (kialo.com), and for the educational branch of Kialo (kialo-edu.com). This involves significant research and writing work.
- Assisting in the improvement of user experience on the site.
- Testing the design and framework of Kialo, to guide future product developments and improvements.
- Other tasks as arising and agreed, including providing input and feedback on site documentation and community resources.
- Fluent in English, with excellent written professional communication.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience in freelance and remote working.
Professional Skills Requirements
- Strong attention to detail, with a ‘perfectionist’ streak.
- Highly developed analytical skills.
- Exceptional proficiency in written English.
- Strong grasp of current affairs.
- Experience in using, reading and working with academic papers/journals.
- Diligent, self-directed and organised, able to work with a high degree of independence in a globally distributed team.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in written work.
- Experience with audience analytics and/or research is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in a second language is desirable.
- Specialist knowledge in STEM fields is desirable.
- A strong familiarity with Internet culture and social media is highly desirable.
- Experience in start-up environments would be desirable.
If this role sounds exciting to you, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org with an email subject line of ‘Content Coordinator – [your name]’.
In addition to a CV/resume and cover letter, please attach a sample of argumentative or persuasive writing that meets the following criteria:
- Minimum 250 words, maximum 500 words – we will not accept longer samples.
- Demonstrates an ability to clearly and directly argue a point or position.
We use the sample you submit to assess whether you meet our writing quality standards, particularly in the context of argumentative writing. We do not require that the sample be from any particular subject area or purpose, so long as it meets the criteria above.
Shortlisted candidates will be initially asked to attend a video interview with one of our hiring team, during which we will discuss next steps and answer any initial questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note that applications for this position will close 19th April 2021.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!