Content and Copy Writer
- Austin, TX – Remote OK
Do you love writing?
Do you live to nail the perfect phrase, and find the exact right words?
Are you tired of the content/copywriter grind, and want to be part of something bigger?
If this sounds like you, we’ve got your perfect career.
We’re hiring a content/copywriter.
But this isn’t a normal role. We’re already a writing company. People literally pay us to write books for them. So why do we need to hire a content/copywriter?
You’re a writer, you can probably guess why…writing a book is totally different than writing blog posts and other forms of copy.
There are very few writers who are good at both, and as a company, we have a ton of great book writers–but no great copywriters.
You have the potential to change that. If you’re fantastic at this type of writing, we want to talk:
- Long form blog posts
- Case studies
- Website copy
- Book descriptions
- Social media copy
We’re open to people from all ranges of experience, working from any place on earth. All that matters is that you are really good at short-form content and copy.
We won’t spend a ton of time talking about what the role requires, because we can easily test each other. The way we’ll test each other is simple: we’ll agree on a progressing series of test projects (like blog posts or the like), you will do them, and then we’ll both decide whether we want to move forward. Pretty simple.
Yes, the role starts as freelance–but the goal is for you to come on as a full tribe member. We have so much content and copy to write that we can fill your schedule up very quickly.
And another cool thing about this role–you don’t just report to some CMO who can barely write a coherent sentence.
You’re going to work directly with 4x New York Times Bestselling Author, and co-founder of Scribe, Tucker Max. He’ll help you edit and refine all of your writing until you nail the company voice.
And note: he currently writes much of the content. The goal is for you to take this off his plate (and ideally, to do a better job than him).
If you can nail that, you’re probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and we help people turn their ideas into books.
Book writing is, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible so that as many people as possible can write books.
We do this a few different ways. We’ve written a book that details our process that people can follow on their own, or they can follow a structured process with our guidance (we call this Scribe Guided Author), or they can use the same process, except instead of having to type their book out, we put them through a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice. This describes that process pretty well.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn’t have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people–smart people who should write a book but don’t because the process is needlessly hard.
These people want to write books, but don’t have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that’s why Scribe exists: we help smart people turn their ideas and knowledge into books that help the world.
Our process has worked for almost 1000 authors in four years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to be the default publishing option for professionals. If we do that, we’ll help create thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That’s really exciting to us.
Type of Employment
- Freelance to start [Full time possible]
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
- You can really write: This should be obvious. If you don’t have a lot of high-quality writing under your belt, this is not for you.
- You’re a versatile writer: Being a great writer isn’t enough–if for example, you can only write great blog posts, but not great book descriptions. You need to be able to handle most types of content and copy.
- You can handle lots of work: At times you’ll have a lot of writing to do, some of it lots of little projects. You have to be able to get stuff done.
- You can work independently, with little supervision: You will have editing and leadership, but if you need a lot of daily management and someone checking that you actually do your work–this is the wrong role for you.
- You have no ego and crave feedback: This is a given for any high level creative, but we just want to be clear that if you don’t love to learn and get better, and more importantly, if you are not afraid to be wrong and change, this is not the right place for you.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: Project-based first, then full-time pay based on experience & results
NOTE: Once you become full time, the salary is not all you will make. All tribe members are entitled to discretionary profit sharing. When we say “profit sharing” we don’t mean the BS “here’s a tiny piece of equity that might be worth something in 10 years.” We’re already a profitable company, and 25% of the company profit goes to the Tribe. So every time we take profit distribution, you get a share of those actual profits
- Access To Full Benefits [AVAILABLE FULL TIME ONLY]: Instead of spending our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs, we give you access to complete health care coverage, dental, life insurance, 401k, and pretty much everything else you could ever want.
- Be Part Of A Tribe: We see ourselves as a tribe of people who are working hard together to accomplish a specific mission (become the default publishing option for professionals), in service of a larger purpose (create books that help the world). We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom: You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours–we don’t care. You can wear a three-piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else–we don’t care. We only care that you have reliable phone and internet connections and that you do your job well.
- Make A Real Impact: We are a small start-up (still under 50 full-time tribe members) and you will be a major part of our team, and help shape our growth. Not only that, you won’t just impact the company, you’ll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think–and you’ll be helping to make them a reality.
- Fun & Fast-Paced Work: We don’t have boring days. Some are hectic, some are hard, some are incredibly rewarding…but they are never boring and never exactly the same. That’s what happens when you’re solving real problems for people.
- Work With Interesting People: You’re not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books people read and use.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.