Consultant – Marketing and Communications at Internews
Title: Consultant – Marketing and Communications
- Location: Work From Anywhere
About the Opportunity
This is a globally remote, full-time six-month contract budgeted for a rate in the range of US $100-300 per day. The BASICS Specialist in Marketing & Communications will work closely with an open-source tool team (Mailvelope) to develop and implement communications and marketing strategies to further their long-term sustainability.
About BASICS Specialists
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their projects’ goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
Scope of Work
This is a paid position on a 6-month full-time contract. The expected Level of Effort for this position is 40 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
- Develop a marketing and communications strategy to promote open source tools to target users
- Support development of communications materials articulating the tool’s technical features, successes to-date, and future development goals
- Develop and implement a strategy to improve tool search rank/SEO for keywords, including through updating and managing tool website and social media channels
- In collaboration with tool leadership, develop a funding strategy to secure grant funding and/or services contract for the tool team
- Support organizational capacity building and sustainability planning
- Update and manage the website and documentation related to the open source tool
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
The specialist should have experience:
- Designing marketing and communications materials for software and/or technology products (security software preferred)
- Managing social media and website updates
- Writing clear, easy-to-understand documentation
- Creating SEO strategies to improve search rank for specific keywords
- Experience developing go-to-market and/or business development plans
- Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities
The specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!