Conservation Certification Reviewer – Bilingual at Wildlife Habitat Council - WHC
Conservation Certification Reviewer Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Job Location: Remote
Position Type: Independent Contractor (as needed)
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC) promotes and certifies habitat conservation and management on corporate lands through partnerships and education. Its principle vehicle is WHC Conservation Certification (Conservation Certification), which recognizes meaningful wildlife habitat management and conservation education efforts.
The Certification and Technology Department (Certification Department) manages Conservation Certification including the certification standard, application review process, and the WHC Conservation Certification website (an online application/program management system). WHC currently has certified programs in 48 states and 25 countries. Examples of certified programs can be found on the WHC Index.
Conservation Certification Reviewers (Reviewers) Bilingual (English/Spanish) conduct reviews of applications submitted by corporate sites. Each application contains one or more projects within the 26 project types. The project types are broadly categorized as focused on habitat, species, conservation education, or other options.
Each application will be independently reviewed by two Reviewers. Applications may be submitted at any time during the year, but the vast majority of reviews take place July-August and December-January.
- Review provided background material and instructions on the review process
- Participate in annual unpaid trainings and provide feedback to ensure continual improvement of reviews and the review process
- Evaluate each project using the provided scoring rubrics
- Provide comments to applicants in the scoring forms to help the applicant understand reasoning for the scores
- Write brief program descriptions for all certified programs outlining the efforts and impact of the application’s qualifying projects
- Participate in online discussions/reviewer forum, providing input from area(s) of your expertise to other reviewers
- Bachelor’s degree in wildlife management, ecology, natural resources, or a related field
- Advanced degree in related field preferred
- At least 2-5 years of work experience
- Conservation related work experience preferred
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills
- Ability to plan workloads to meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills, especially written
- Experience with non-technical writing about conservation projects (i.e. for a lay audience) is preferred
- Ability to adhere to procedures and follow directions
- Confident with using technology
- Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn how to use various software (online application systems, Slack, GoToMeeting, etc.)
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish is required
- This is an entirely remote contract
- Reviewers are responsible for their own reliable computer and internet connection
- While performing the responsibilities of the job, Reviewers will need to communicate clearly and operate a computer
- Workload will be heaviest July-August and December-January with 2-week deadlines for each review
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation is paid per application review, based on the number of projects reviewed
- Project rates range from $25-35, based on experience (projects average approximately 1-1.5 hrs to review)
- As this is an Independent Contract, a 1099 will be issued annually for which the contractor is responsible for all tax obligations.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!