Community Support Associate at Khan Academy
Classroom Community Support Associate
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them.
Khan Academy is looking for a passionate Community Support professional to help change education – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
Community Support at Khan Academy
As the voice of our users, the Community Support team at Khan Academy is deeply integrated into our product teams and processes. We work closely with product management, engineering, design, quality assurance, and many others to make sure that the needs of our community are being met.
As our classroom-focused Community Support Associate, you’ll be critical in making sure that we’re building products and features that teachers love. You’ll also be the lynch-pin who ensures that the support team is equipped with all the tools they need to successfully help classroom users. You won’t be working directly in the queue often, but you will help manage and coach those who are, and handle their escalations. Someone with a passion for education, experience working with cross-functional technical teams, who relishes identifying broken flows and fixing them, will excel in this role.
What you’ll do
Ensure our classroom users are fully supported:
- One of the biggest parts of this role is being the primary point of contact for our classroom and district support channels, reporting to the Senior Manager of Community Support. You’ll ensure our support processes are working effectively, conduct training and quality audits for our externally-based support team, handle escalated issues, and help troubleshoot new bugs as necessary. You’ll constantly look for ways we can improve our team processes and service to the community.
- You’ll also help manage our public teacher communities, and brainstorm ways they can be expanded and improved. This includes collaborating with our teacher superuser programs, as well as communicating regularly with users in the community directly.
- In addition, you’ll also be responsible for keeping the classroom and district Help Center content up-to-date and making sure new help resources are added as necessary.
Champion classroom user needs within Khan Academy:
- As the employee who works most closely with Khan’s educator community, you’ll be an essential voice of these users. You’ll work across the organization and with many different teams and individual leaders to ensure that we’re keeping teacher and classroom needs front of mind.
- You’ll be a key contributor on our classroom and district product teams and make sure that they have deep and regular insight into their respective communities. You’ll help prioritize development resources on these teams, especially around bug-fixing and backlog management.
- You’ll also compile and send out periodic reports to ensure that the company at large is kept updated about relevant trends and community sentiment.
- As you work through our community support processes, you’ll be able to see where we could be doing better. You’ll work with our existing community support team to design and implement improvements on a continual basis.
What you’ll need
- A professional background in education, ideally working as a teacher or with teachers directly
- 2+ years of support or other experience working on a product team (with product managers, developers, designers, etc.) at a technology company
- Excellent written communication, which you can adapt for a variety of online audiences
- Comfort working both autonomously and within defined structure. This role will have many opportunities for you to leave your personal mark on it, and someone excited about prioritizing and driving their own projects will be able to have a big impact.
- Ability to own a problem or goal, identify the path to success, and execute on it. You’re able to manage a number of simultaneous projects and responsibilities within the timeline you’ve set for yourself.
- Excitement around designing high-quality community support processes and coming up with creative solutions to tricky problems
- Proficiency with Zendesk, Slack, Jira, or other comparable online support and collaboration tools
- You don’t take yourself too seriously
Nice to have
- Experience using Khan Academy (or a comparable resource) in your classroom
- Support leadership experience, especially managing a team of (internal or external) support agents
- Remote work experience
- Experience working with younger users and related laws, such as COPPA and FERPA
- Comfort understanding and applying standard business analytics
- Fluency in memes, internet trends, gifs, and/or dad jokes
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Respond to the following short answer questions in the application:
- Given the job responsibilities outlined above, what makes you an amazing candidate for this role?
- What’s been the most challenging aspect of working in education? What do (or did) you love about working in education?
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!