Communications Manager (Full-Time)
Location: Remote/Telecommute (must be comfortable working from a home-based environment)
Reporting to: Chief Communications Officer
Salary: $45-55k + competitive benefits package (salary commensurate with experience)
Family Equality has an immediate opening for an experienced Communications Manager to join our communications team. The Communications Manager will lead day-to-day scheduling and management of Family Equality’s online content across social media channels, our websites, and email marketing communications, and will also work with the Chief Communications Officer to monitor key performance metrics across these digital communications channels, strategizing and testing new approaches to grow and better engage Family Equality’s audience nationwide.
The successful candidate will have a broad digital marketing skillset, able to serve as a strong writer and editor, handle varied graphic design tasks, manage website content, and balance a busy calendar of competing tasks and projects. The successful candidate will also need a strong familiarity with the issues facing LGBTQ+ families and prospective LGBTQ+ parents, and a commitment to ensuring Family Equality’s programmatic work reaches as diverse an audience as possible.
- Manage editorial calendar for digital communications, from planning to execution;
- Manage all content on the main Family Equality website, and satellite microsites for specific campaigns and events;
- Manage blog posts, gathering content from contributors and publishing posts;
- Assist in setting up online advocacy action alerts;
- Set-up, test and schedule email marketing campaigns;
- Draft and schedule content on Family Equality’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts and engage with those communities, moderating comments and responding to incoming messages;
- Assist in management of interns and volunteers working on communication projects;
- Assist with graphic design tasks as needed for web and print materials.
Skills & Qualifications:
All candidates must have a “can do” attitude, enjoy a fast-paced environment, and be highly organized without losing sight of larger objectives.
- Strong commitment to equity for all LGBTQ+ families, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, ability, gender identity/expression, and family structure;
- Experience/fluency with issues facing LGBTQ+ families, and familiarity with content written for parents and prospective parents;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to edit others’ writing for style and accuracy;
- At least two years’ experience managing social media content in a nonprofit setting;
- At least two years’ experience managing website content using WordPress (experience with Squarespace and comfort with basic HTML/CSS/JS is a plus);
- Graphic design experience with Adobe Creative Cloud applications (InDesign and Illustrator), and familiarity with design standards for digital and print production;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications and G Suite;
- Comfort with online tools for cloud-based collaboration (e.g. Asana, Slack);
- Ability to handle and appropriately prioritize multiple tasks in a timely, efficiently and flexible manner;
- Ability to collaborate on projects with staff from other departments, and a high level of personal investment in contributing to the overall organizational priorities;
- A bachelor’s degree and/or two to five years of relevant employment experience in marketing, graphic design or a related field.
Founded in 1979, Family Equality’s mission is to advance legal and lived equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) families, and for those who wish to form them, through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change.
We envision a future where all LGBTQ+ families, regardless of creation or composition, live in communities that recognize, respect, protect, and value them. We envision a world in which everyone has the right and should have the opportunity to form and sustain a loving family, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, national origin, geography, socioeconomic status, disability, or the intersection of those characteristics. Finally, we envision systems of service and support that are free of discrimination and that maximize opportunities for youth needing permanency and LGBTQ+ adults seeking family formation.
Family Equality is a remote workplace, with employees distributed across the country. As such, the Communications Manager may work remotely, so long as their location affords reliable phone service and high-speed internet access.
Family Equality Council provides a team-based environment and we value the benefits of a diversified workplace. Women, people of color, transgender individuals and members of other underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Family Equality Council provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, (or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to lactation), physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.