Communications & Development Associate
Reports to: Director of Development & Communications
Salary and Hours: $19-22/hour for 20 hours/week.
Prorated paid time off (3 weeks vacation, increasing to 4 weeks after two years’ tenure, plus 8 paid holidays/year). Health benefits. Family and Medical Leave. Mileage reimbursement at the IRS rate. Ability to contribute to a retirement plan.
About The Cooperative Development Institute (CDI): The Cooperative Development Institute (CDI, www.cdi.coop) is the Northeast’s Center for cooperative business education, training, and technical assistance. CDI was founded in 1994 by cooperative leaders across industry sectors to build a cooperative economy in the Northeast. Our mission is to work with people in the Northeast to create cooperative businesses and networks that grow a prosperous, equitable economy. We envision a democratically-owned and just economy where everyone can fulfill their needs and aspirations. CDI works to support, advise and provide technical assistance to all sorts of cooperatives in the Northeast. CDI’s New England Resident Owned Communities (NEROC) program provides support and assistance for residents of manufactured home communities to purchase their parks and run them cooperatively. Our Business Ownership Solutions (BOS) program focuses on conversion of existing businesses to worker ownership and our Cooperative Food Systems (CFS) program works with all food-related cooperatives; from assisting New American and Native American farmers to rural food cooperative retail stores and producer co-ops. And that’s not all of what we do!
CDI is a virtually based 501(c)3 non-profit that has 20 employees. CDI employees enjoy their jobs and appreciate the flexibility of working from home, the commitment to continuous learning, and how interesting and varied our work is. Because our organization is transparent, accountable, and participatory, our staff’s ideas and opinions count. We are committed to maintaining this as a priority.
The Cooperative Development Institute is looking for a half-time Communications & Development Associate to provide support to CDI’s communications & development teams. Editing and writing organizational materials, assisting with social media production, grant preparation, and individual donor solicitation will be important parts of the job, as CDI seeks to achieve the organization’s communications and fundraising goals. The successful candidate is an excellent communicator with strong attention to detail. Social media marketing experience and a background in membership development are great attributes. Ultimately, the goal of this position will be to help ensure effective clear communication of our organization’s message across all channels in support of both communications and development priorities. This position reports to the Director of Development & Communications.
- Provide administrative support to CDI’s Communications team including the scheduling of meetings and agenda preparation
- Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, newsletter articles, social media posts, other publications)
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies
- Update databases and media lists
- Track projects and media exposure
- Facilitate effective internal communications to advance the goals of the Communications and Development programs in a team environment
- Maintain calendars and appointments
- Prepare presentations and reports
- Provide assistance to the Communication Team in implementing communications projects and strategies
- Proven experience as a Communications Associate, Communications Specialist or similar role
- Understanding of media relations and digital media strategies
- Solid writing, editing and researching skills
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and task management
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Apps
- Familiarity with web platform management, experience with WordPress a plus
- Familiarity with social media platform management including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Hoot Suite
- Familiarity with design software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Experience with Meltwater a plus
- Assist the Director of Development & Communications in prospecting foundations for appropriate grant applications
- Assist the Development Team in the preparation of grant submissions, including content drafting and the preparation of supporting materials
- Assist the Development team in implementing the organization’s major donor and grassroots fundraising efforts
- Assist in database management to develop and maintain donor contact list, and contribute to solicitation efforts.
- Prior experience with foundation prospecting preferred
- Some experience with grant writing and proposal preparation preferred
- Experience in digital and social media platform solicitation a plus
- Prior experience with individual donor solicitation also a plus
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
Inclusion: In accordance with Federal law, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. CDI is an equal opportunity employer and service provider. We promote economic prosperity for all through our work with our clients, our hiring practices, and our vigorous commitment to cooperative principles. We strive daily to acknowledge and eliminate all forms of oppression. By examining bias within ourselves and our organization, we work mindfully to make our board and staff more inclusive. We actively fight against racism, 3 classism, gender inequality and all efforts to marginalize anyone. The nature of our work engages us directly with the working poor, the educationally disadvantaged, the elderly, immigrants and refugees. It is our goal to see all of our clients prosper within the cooperative movement. We welcome applicants from underrepresented identities, and those who have a commitment and track record of bringing an inclusive and equitable approach to their work.