Cohort Lead, Online Data Science at Flatiron School
Cohort Lead, Online Data Science, Remote
at Flatiron School
Remote, United States
As a Cohort Lead, you will be the dedicated Instructor for a specific group of students. You will be responsible for coordinating and delivering key components of a student’s course structure, like weekly one-on-ones and study groups, and act as their go-to technical resource as they work through the program. You’ll work with fellow Instructors and staff to develop and deliver course material, troubleshoot student issues, build community within our student body, and overall create productive, inspired, employable practitioners of a technical craft.
The Cohort Lead will:
Work directly with students as their dedicated teacher for the course:
- Be responsible for maintaining the cadence of the course: Keep students on track for their given course pace, monitor each individual’s progress, and design and implement learning or service interventions when students fall behind
- Hold weekly one-on-ones with students that act as tutoring, motivational, or debugging sessions — whatever that particular student needs that day to keep on track for their goals.
- Hold open office hours to help students in real-time, and move them forward when they’re stuck
- Help students in real-time, through one-on-one e-mail, chat, and live video conversations, tending towards the most high-fidelity experiences
- Lead project sprints, helping students scope and execute larger technical projects to demonstrate mastery of each content module
- Conduct project assessments, holding students to a high bar of mastery for each content module and coaching them on how to deepen their understanding of the material
- Build community within your student groups by identifying, creating, and implementing connective experiences, like Feelings Friday and Motivational Monday study groups, Slack discussions, and student pairing sessions.
- Monitor and engage in student discussions via chat, jumping in to help with technical challenges and participating in non-technical conversations that develop community
- Leverage passion as a force for motivation by sharing what you are passionate about with your students and working those topics into lesson plans as appropriate.
- Be available, responsive, excited and kind: You’re a teacher who holds students to high standards, puts people above process, and creates the kind of learning environment that stretches people beyond what they thought they could achieve
Collaborate thoughtfully and impactfully with colleagues:
- Partner with an Educational Coach to understand students’ non-technical strengths, needs and challenges, with an eye towards keeping them on pace for their course goals.
- Use feedback from students gathered via class surveys, team members, and students to continually improve.
- Assist colleagues in developing and executing learning interventions that move students forward
- Collaborate with the Curriculum and Teacher Training teams to deliver feedback from students and staff about what resources and improvements would drive the best student experiences
- Be an exemplar of Flatiron School’s values in your work and your interactions: Make No Little Plans, Pursue Mastery, Work Together, Radiate Positivity, and Be Scrappy
Qualifications for Cohort Lead:
- Professional experience as both a teacher and a data scientist
- Strong Knowledge in Data Science, Data Analytics, R, Python, Etc
- Strong Knowledge in Statistics, Mathematics and Machine Learning
- Strong communication skills, and great judgement about what communications to use in a particular situation or on a particular medium
- Service orientation: You’re delighted to help people succeed, whether that’s your colleagues at Flatiron School, or the students you’re teaching
- The ability to work cross-functionally with a variety of colleagues, from curriculum writers to engineers and designers
At Flatiron School, we’re changing education. Since 2012, we’ve been teaching amazing people how to code and helping them find jobs. We give incredible people the tools to do what they love for a living, and match companies with hires who will do amazing work, take great pride in their craft and view their work as a chance to grow more.Instructors at Flatiron School must love teaching. We make it a mission to seek out teachers who can infect, infuse and inspire with passion, wisdom, positivity, and humor. They show students how to love what they do, and how to better love who they are.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!