Coder II – Remote
- You bring your body, mind, heart and spirit to your work as a Coding Specialist II.
- You know when to move quickly. When to sit quietly. When to laugh loudly.
- You’re equally comfortable with coding guidelines, medical terminology and working as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- You’re great at what you do, but you want to be part of something even greater. Because you believe that while individuals can be strong, the right team is invincible.
This position is a remote / virtual position, so you may reside anywhere within the United States.
- System Services is our Corporate Headquarters in Broomfield, Colorado and is located within the Oracle campus. SCL Health is a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization dedicated to improving the well-being of the people we serve.
- Benefits are one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, we’ve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health. Healthy Living includes financial incentives, digital tools, tobacco cessation, classes, counseling and paid time off. We also offer financial wellness tools and retirement planning.
- Together we’ll align mission and careers, values and workplace. We’ll encourage joy and take pride in our integrity.
- We’ll laugh at each other’s jokes (even the bad ones). We’ll hello and high five. We’ll celebrate milestones and acknowledge the value of spirituality in healing.
- We’re proud of what we know, which includes how much there is to learn.
As a Coding Specialist II, you need to know how to:
- Assign ICD, CPT and HCPCS coding classifications based on clinical documentation and/or physician orders.
- Utilize appropriate tools, resources and guidelines to determine codes and assign first listed diagnosis and secondary diagnoses.
- Obtain clarification from physicians, clinical departments and others on documentation questions, as needed.
- Perform coding at an intermediate level coding complexity.
- Maintain assigned work queues within defined processing timeframe and meet or exceed productivity standards.
- Verify data abstracted and entered from the EMR. Ensure integrity of the database for internal and external data reporting.
- Respond in a timely manner to inquiries from Revenue Services related to use of codes and modifiers within the billing process to assure accuracy and avoid delays in the billing process.
- Adhere to all compliance guidelines, both internal and external.
- Participate in continuing education programs to maintain an understanding of anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, disease processes and surgical techniques to support the effective application of coding guidelines and maintain credentials.
- Promote mission, vision, and values of SCL Health, and abide by service behavior standards.
We hire people, not resumes. But we also expect excellence, which is why we require:
- High School diploma or equivalent, required
- Associate Degree in Health Information or Healthcare related field, preferred
- At least one (1) year of coding experience that includes experience with both ICD and CPT coding, preferred
- Meet eligibility requirements to sit for one of the following credentials: Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credential through AHIMA OR coding certification through American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) including one of the following – Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) or Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC), preferred
Your next move.
Now that you know more about being a Coding Specialist II on our team we hope you’ll join us. At SCL Health you’ll reaffirm every day how much you love this work, and why you were called to it in the first place.
Organization: Corporate, Various Locations
Primary Location: CO-Denver/Boulder/Surrounding Areas-Broomfield
Department: SYS-HIM Coding
Shift: Day Shift
Job Number: 19002374