Coder at Cancer Treatment Centers of America
Cancer care is all we do
Hope in healing
Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA®) takes a unique and integrative approach to cancer care. Our patient-centered care model is founded on a commitment to personalized medicine, tailoring a combination of treatments to the needs of each individual patient. At the same time, we support patients’ quality of life by offering therapies designed to help them manage the side effects of treatment, addressing their physical, spiritual and emotional needs, so they are better able to stay on their treatment regimens and get back to life. At the core of our whole-person approach is what we call the Mother Standard® of care, so named because it requires that we treat our patients, and one another, like we would want our loved ones to be treated. This innovative approach has earned our hospitals a Best Place to Work distinction and numerous accreditations. Each of us has a stake in the successful outcomes of every patient we treat.
The Physician Coder is responsible for reviewing physician documentation and assigning appropriate Evaluation and Management (E/M) code, ICD-10 CM, CPT codes and appropriate modifiers. Works with physicians to educate and obtain documentation that complies with coding guidelines and compliance standards.
Job Responsibilities / Skills
- Assess the adequacy of medical record documentation to ensure it supports all reportable diagnoses and procedures. Assigns correct ICD-CM diagnosis codes and CPT codes in accordance with official coding guidelines. Contacts the physician and/or staff when necessary to gain additional information or clarify documentation discrepancies.
- Works closely with key Revenue Cycle Management (including, but not limited to, Billing, Claims Follow Up, Appeals) teams for resolution of charge issues in a timely manner.
- Conducts daily charge and account information for documentation reconciliation and ensure all charges captured and supported.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of current trends and widely accepted practices in Coding; pursue professional growth and development opportunities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current ICD10-CM/HCC and CPT coding.
- Previous experience developing and conducting physician and coding educational sessions and formal presentations beneficial.
- Knowledge of the revenue cycle, manual coding assignment, encoding software, and workflow management.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology
- Knowledge of cancer specialty medicine coding and reimbursement.
- Skill in both oral and written communication.
- Customer-service oriented, timely in responses to requests for service/information, able to manage multiple tasks and priorities and possess leadership skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Applications with knowledge of Microsoft Excel is preferred.
- Must be willing to travel, as needed.
CPC (Certified Professional Coder) required with a CGSC (Certified surgical coder), CHONC (certified Oncology Coder), CCSP (Certified Coding Specialist-Physician) and/or an Associate Degree from an approved school for Health Information Technology as outlined by the American Health Information Management Association with successful completion of the accreditation exam (RHIT) preferred.
- Three years of coding experience in ICD-10-CM and CPT professional fee coding required.
- Experience and familiarity in working with diverse facets of medical staff activities.
- Ability to provide education to providers.
- Self starter and well organized.
We win together
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us.