Chief Technology Officer – Web, Mobile, E-Commerce at Natural Health Sherpa
Chief Technology Officer (CTO – Remote): Web + Mobile + e-Comm
- Full time
This is a unique opportunity to take over as the company’s technical lead (web, mobile, e-comm) for our rapidly growing, profitable, $40MM+ direct-to-consumer metabolic optimization business. We want someone to cultivate a high-performing, yet humble environment that treats people well.
Plus, we’ve ALWAYS been 100% virtual and all work from home… and who doesn’t want that right now?
Hello, I’m Marc Stockman, CEO and co-founder of Metabolic Living. We’ve had some great developers, but never a true leader of all things tech because it hasn’t been necessary. However, now it is. And I’m looking for a true needle-in-a-haystack to sprint along side me as we execute on our next growth leg.
Our mission at Metabolic Living is to make our metabolism-first lifestyle the worldwide standard for healthy living. Even without the current pandemic, people struggle with their health, confused by so many competing options that don’t get results. So, we’ve developed a simple process anybody can follow to optimize their metabolism to deliver the energy their body needs to thrive.
We run on a LAMP stack on AWS, have a team of 3 developers (100+ people in company) and now need a senior tech leader to help us achieve our next growth target of $100MM and beyond. You have the opportunity to build out the perfect team the way YOU see fit. We do not yet have a mobile technical strategy in place, so this is an opportunity for you to define that as well.
The ideal candidate is both a high-caliber, full-stack developer and systems architect who loves to code, as well as a fantastic manager who is very marketing- and consumer-oriented and business-savvy. We only want someone who has been there and done that as we have lots of wood to chop on the business end. We need to rely on a steady proven rock as leader of all things tech to get things done.
And it’s a HUGE plus if you’re passionate about health and wellness 🙂
Yes, we know we’re asking for someone unique, but we’re putting this out there anyway to find the right candidate, with a robust compensation package to reflect this unique challenge. If you’re interested, you’ll find the full story of our company below – we’re only interested in talking to people who are inspired by this and want to be a part of this amazing journey we’re on.
In spite of the crisis the world is in, we’re thriving, and in fact growing, because of the products and services we sell. Our goal is to build a $1 billion dollar consumer brand by 2023 and technology will play an enormously important role in achieving that. We’re just putting the finishing touches on our re-branding efforts (more on that below) and will be launching our flagship e-commerce website in 2-3 months. That will be followed by a robust app that simplifies everything for consumers this Fall.
We’re particularly excited about the app as it will be the future of the company as we integrate our propriety Metabolic OS and automate customized meal plans, workouts and lifestyle changes that truly reflect the uniqueness of each individual. And how that uniqueness changes over time in response to changes in your physiology, psychology, preferences and other lifestyle factors.
If you’re a proven tech leader who knows how to both build and manage a team in a fast-moving environment and is a truly high-caliber end-to-end full stack web and mobile developer and…
- You LOVE to build things to perfection, but know how to iterate rapidly to gain traction…
- You LOVE working on consumer-facing websites, applications and architecture
- You LOVE everything e-commerce-related and have deep experience in payments…
- You LOVE building apps with the right tech so things “just work” flawlessly…
- You LOVE to think, solve complex problems and get a rush when your builds go live…
Then please read on as you’re the ideal candidate… and we’d love to talk to you ASAP.
To summarize the key points:
- Salary: $150,000 – $250,000
- Location: 100% Remote (virtual team of 100+ with no corporate office)
- Benefits: Full Insurance (health, dental & long-term disability) + Robust 401k
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (preferably Eastern time but flexible for right candidate)
- Culture: High-Performance but Humble (no jerks) that Creates Space for Deep Work
- Personality: Obsessed with Details so We can Simplify the Complex for Others
Who is This Opportunity Perfect for?
This is the perfect opportunity for a tech leader who loves to roll up their sleeves and code, enjoys building teams and who has an unstoppable drive for excellence and might relate to any of these:
If you’re drowning in the corporate or agency world, suffocating from lack of clarity, incessant scope creep, micromanaging bosses, endless meetings, constant interruptions and no respect for the quiet time you need to actually get work done, this is your opportunity to simplify and go deep – to pour your heart and soul into ONE big opportunity… and scale it like never before.
Or, if you’ve tried the freelance thing, but found it challenging or simply not fun doing the sales and marketing piece to land new clients so you could provide yourself or your family with a steady income, this is your opportunity find a long-term home with an organization who cares and who will constantly put fun, meaningful and challenging projects on your plate to keep things exciting and interesting.
Or, if you’ve been at a fast-growing start-up, but they haven’t turned the corner and learned how to grow without the stress, how to deliver results without working past 5 p.m., how to not burn the candle at both ends, how to create a profitable business model that doesn’t depend on the whims of VC or PE world to provide the next round of funding… this is your opportunity to take back control, live life under your own terms and design a lifestyle that brings you joy, happiness and satisfaction.
Regardless of your situation, whether you prefer to work in the quiet of your own home, sipping a delicious cup of coffee at your favorite coffee shop, or outside enjoying the sunshine on a bright, beautiful day… AND you are a humble, high-performing individual who would THRIVE in this type of environment, then please read on, as we can’t wait to meet you.
Who Are We and What’s the Company’s Background?
Metabolic Living’s mission is to empower people to thrive EVERY day so they can enjoy life to the fullest. And our vision is to do this by making our metabolism-first lifestyle become the worldwide standard for healthy living. It’s a flexible, fun lifestyle that’s 100% focused on delivering the results that matter: feeling your best, looking your best and performing your best. In the shortest time possible.
It puts YOU back in control. It helps YOU understand how your body and metabolism works. It empowers YOU to fix your own problems. And because it alleviates the frustration and confusion so many of us experience when trying to fix our health, it makes you want to tell the world about it.
Our goal is to grow into a billion-dollar multi-channel brand that’s distributed via online, mobile and physical retail. For 10 years, we’ve been painstakingly building the products, services, framework, team and culture to make this happen. We have a robust, mature, complete and profitable business model with scalable customer acquisition. And now we’re pushing into a massive new growth phase.
We’ve built a full ecosystem of products that allow someone to live a metabolism-first lifestyle. This includes exercise and nutrition programs, nutraceuticals, functional foods, memberships and coaching programs. We’re launching our mobile app later this year, then will push into offline retail, extend into home-delivered meals and more. But ONE thing at a time, just like we’ve done for 9 years.
Our next major step is rolling out our new Metabolic Living brand and centralized e-commerce website at www.metabolicliving.com, scheduled to be live in first half of 2020. We will consolidate into this centralized website our various product-branded microsites.
So why is a metabolism-first lifestyle needed? Because there are record amounts of sick, overweight, tired and depressed people piling up around the world. We’re over-worked, over-stressed, over-fed and full of toxins. And we’re deprived of the sleep, nutrition, movement and relaxation we need to thrive.
Unfortunately, the typical solution of extreme dieting and exercise traps people into a 1-step-forward, 2-steps back vicious cycle that makes them worse off. They bounce from one latest flavor-of-the-month program to the next, never making progress… trapped in a downward spiral of increasing desperation.
And philosophies like Paleo or Vegan, while extremely healthy for some, create a rigid us-vs-them tribal mentality that’s self-limiting. Neither of those philosophies work for all people all the time… or even the same person all the time. People differ. Bodies change. If that’s not respected, things will backfire.
The answer? Instead of trying to FIND the perfect program, you need to CREATE their own – one that respects how YOUR body works. And that’s where our metabolism-first framework comes in.
It empowers you with a repeatable, customizable method to optimize your metabolism. Because we’ve found through working with millions of people that a fully optimized metabolism is what delivers the results everyone wants – feeling their best, looking their best and performing their best, EVERY day.
So, instead of fighting against your body and getting inconsistent results with a one-size fits all program or protocol, we teach you to work with your body to enjoy consistent results by building your OWN perfect customized program. One that’s practical, enjoyable and sustainable… and starts working fast.
What Are the Major Objectives?
- Build Out Team – Recruit, train and manage a high-performing tech team who seamless delivers against the company’s objectives while ensuring sufficient cross-training to be resilient
- Launch e-Comm – Finish launching our new centralized e-commerce website at www.metabolicliving.com, which is 75% completed and ready for the final push
- Build App – Create a state-of-the-art app that translates our metabolic optimization process into an easy-to-follow consumer-friendly experience that helps people get results
- Manage Team to Hit KPIs – Coach each member of the team to create aggressive, yet achievable quarterly KPIs that create a competitive, yet collaborative culture that’s fun
- Build Systems and SOPs – Establish uniformity through the development of SOPs, workflows and other systems so your team operates efficiently and effectively
What Are the On-going Responsibilities?
- Strategy – Work with our product and marketing team to establish the overall vision and strategy to ensure our technology solutions deliver what’s best for the consumer
- Analysis – Dive DEEP into usage data for our properties and apps to pinpoint areas of technical optimization to make everything run smoother, faster and better
- Coding – Own whatever part of the stack makes sense for you to own based on your assessment of the team’s abilities, whether database layer, application layer, front-end, architecture, etc.
- Project Management – You’ll be the single point of accountability for all major strategic projects, conducting daily huddles, building requirements and managing project plans
What Key Skills and Experience are Needed?
- 10+ Technical Management – Building, leading and managing tech teams who can consistently deliver on time, on spec and on budget in a collaborative, inspiring way
- 7+ Years Full-Stack LAMP Experience – Excels in every portion of dev and coding, whether database layer, application layer, front-end or anything in between in a LAMP stack
- 5+ Years Mobile / App Experience – Building and optimizing high-volume, consumer-facing apps on both iOS and Android with deep technical expertise to create mobile vision and strategy
- 3+ Years E-commerce Expertise – Heavy exposure e-commerce from building shopping carts to integrating payment processing to fulfillment, logistics and everything in between
- AWS / Cloud Architect – Robust experience managing all facets of AWS, including Cloudfront, S3, EC2, ELB, IAM, RDS, and Autoscaling
- Heavy Marketing-Systems Focus – With deep experience in A/B split testing, funnel development, analytics, page speed optimization, API integrations, etc.
- Systems Architecture – Deep experience architecting systems that are scalable, resilient and secure within an environment of high volume data
- Unquenchable Curiosity – It’s impossible for you to stop asking why, why, why… or what if, what if, what if… and you get very antsy, almost to the point of impatience, for the next test
- Data-Driven – Extremely comfortable flexing the analytical side of your brain with a passionate for pouring through reams of response data to detect patterns of success to replicate
- Systems-Oriented – You’ve got strong organizational skills and love to create order out of chaos with highly organized systems that deliver sustained success, regardless of who is in charge
- Excellent Communicator – Able to clearly and concisely articulate positions both in written format and orally in 1-on-1 or group situations that build cohesion and gain alignment
What You’ll Enjoy from Us:
- A Curated Team – A very supportive team of other high-performers who like to get things done, hold themselves accountable and help each other out wherever possible.
- A Nurturing Culture – A culture that supports and nurtures your need to learn, grow and challenge yourself to be the best you possibly can be.
- A Fantastic Lifestyle – A 100% remote experience that allows you to work from home, enjoy your family, outside interests and passions
- A Robust Benefits Package — Full Insurance (health, dental & long-term disability) + Robust 401k + 15 days PTO and additional perks as we add them
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!