Character Artist at Flaming Fowl Studios
Flaming Fowl Studios is an independent studio rising from the ashes of the renowned Lionhead Studios. We create games that feature deep and interesting strategic experiences with fascinating twists and always include a healthy dose of humour.
Our current project is a strategic, turn-based, fantasy RPG, based on the renowned board game Gloomhaven. We are looking for a talented Character Artist to join our ranks and help us create awesome new content. Although the team is mainly based in the UK, we operate remotely so we would encourage applications from all over.
Flaming Fowl is built on a foundation of respecting quality of life over everything else. We are a fully distributed team, working flexible hours and currently have team members from all over Europe. If you are fed up commuting, fed up being micromanaged and want to define your own hours then this is a great opportunity to become a core member of a growing studio but with all the flexibility of working from anywhere in the world.
We are looking for a talented, passionate and proactive Character Artist with a proven track record in creating realistic and stylised characters to join our team.
Your duties will include:
- From concept art and reference images, create high quality 3D in-game characters for PC and current gen consoles, including all clothing and accessories
- Produce hi-poly sculpts, bakes, game meshes and textures/materials
- Work with our rigging and animation team to ensure that characters function correctly in-game
- Create materials and shaders in-engine
- Help R+D in-game character pipeline
- Assist with reviewing outsource character art when required
- Present, review and discuss work online
- Implement feedback from Lead Artist and Directors
- A relevant degree and/or an outstanding portfolio/demo that showcases your ability
- 1 shipped title on current gen consoles/ PC
- Expert knowledge of a current 3D modelling package, preferably Maya
- Expert Zbrush and Substance Painter skills
- Ability to follow either a realistic or an illustrative/stylised art style
- Good problem-solving abilities
- A true passion for video games and the desire to create high-quality experiences
- Highly motivated with a proactive attitude and the ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to manage time well and deliver high quality assets on time and on budget
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Experience in Unreal and Unity
- Some understanding of rigging/skinning
- Node-based shader graph and material knowledge (Unreal, Amplify)
- Substance Designer knowledge
Initially, this will be on a 6 month contract as we go through pre-production but with the possibility to extend anywhere up to 24 months.