Career Coach and Resume Writer
Full-time employee, flexible schedule, telecommute, up to 40 hours per week
Locations: CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MN, NC, NH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA
Responsibilities of the Job: The Opportunity
We are looking for an experienced career coach and resume writer to join our team and provide one-on-one career coaching sessions to FlexJobs members, as well as review and update member resumes.
You will need to understand coaching fundamentals, career advising, and the job search process with a particular focus on flexible and remote job searching. You’ll also need to be an experienced resume writer who is skilled at editing and updating resumes to optimize them for an individual client’s needs. The workload on an average day will be roughly 40% coaching and 60% resume writing. This is a fast-paced environment that requires excellent time-management skills and a comfort level setting time boundaries with clients and yourself.
The members you work with will be from a wide variety of locations, backgrounds, education levels, and personal circumstances. You’ll need to believe deeply in the importance of empowering professionals to take hold of their career development, execute a strategic job search, and find a better way to work through work flexibility.
Who We Are
- Our mission is to improve the future of work by helping people find flexible jobs that make their lives better. We are committed to doing this internally and externally with integrity, intelligence, balance, communication, and care.
- In the past 12+ years, FlexJobs has established itself as the leader in the professional flexible job market (remote, freelance, part-time, and flexible schedule jobs) to help job seekers connect with employers that offer these highly desired arrangements.
- We do this in a way that makes the job search experience easier, safer, and faster for job seekers by utilizing both technology and human intelligence to provide a friendly, effective, and better job service.
- In terms of flexibility, we also walk the talk! Our entire team works remotely from several locations across the United States.
- The ability to flex our schedules, while still collaborating and communicating effectively and meeting the goals of the team, allows us to work in a very focused and productive way.
What You’ll Do
- You’ll work with the career coaching team to assist FlexJobs members with their job search questions through one-on-one 30-minute sessions conducted remotely via phone or video calls.
- You’ll also be responsible for reviewing and heavily updating member resumes, with a particular emphasis on targeting remote and flexible jobs.
- You’ll be responsible for organizing your coaching schedule and available sessions and keeping excellent records of coaching sessions and other client communications.
- 5+ years of resume writing and editing experience for a wide range of clients from different career fields, experience levels, and backgrounds.
- 5+ years of career coaching/advising/counseling experience, including some experience working with clients in a virtual or remote setting.
- Bachelor’s degree—extra credit if you’ve earned a master’s—in a related area like counseling, career development, or HR.
- Familiarity with the flexible and remote job market for professional-level candidates, which includes remote jobs, flexible schedule jobs, professional part-time roles, and freelance or contract jobs.
- Experience coaching clients in the following situations: returning to work after a break or a layoff, career transition or change, job searching with a chronic health issue or illness, and other special situations.
- Experience using digital communication tools like Zoom, instant messaging, scheduling programs, and related tools to interact with coaching clients.
Bonus Points Given:
- Personal experience using FlexJobs as a job seeker.
- Experience or interest in hosting online webinars on career/job searching topics for job seekers.
- Professionally active on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) related to job and career coaching.
Traits and Skills for This Role:
- Ability to offer constructive, positive feedback, advice, and information to people of diverse professional and life backgrounds.
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word for resume writing and design.
- Comfort in a dynamic environment; flexible and adaptable to grow with an evolving program.
- Resourcefulness, pulling the most applicable information from FlexJobs and our trusted resources and tailoring meetings based on clients’ needs.
- High emotional intelligence; ability to empathize and help people handle stressful situations.
- Motivational, creative, positive, patient, organized, and have excellent presentation skills.
Traits Required of All Team Members, You Included:
- A sense of pride in your work.
- A streak of perfectionism when it comes to details.
- Being highly organized, responsible, and ethical.
- Being proactive when it comes to asking questions, brainstorming, and working with colleagues.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- An appreciation and enthusiasm for the ability to work remotely.
- Interest in a long-term position with a company that you’re proud to be a part of and on a growing team.
- A fully functioning home office, including: high-speed Internet access, a fast computer, and phone access.
- A work environment that is quiet and one in which you can really focus without distractions.
How to Apply:
If this job description makes you feel as if it was written perfectly for you, then please apply! What we’ll need:
- An intro email/cover letter telling us why you want to work for FlexJobs (v. another company).
- What makes you a great fit for this position.
- What hourly rate (based on a full-time, hourly schedule) you would be comfortable with.
- Complete this Pairin assessment
- A current resume in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .markdown, or .txt.
Applications can be sent through FlexJobs or by email to email@example.com.
If you are selected to move forward, you may be required to do a background check.
FlexJobs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.
FlexJobs is also a veteran and military spouse-friendly employer. Our positions are perfectly structured for qualified candidates who meet this criteria and we have a workplace culture that supports their work and life.