Cancer Information Specialist
Job Code: 180
# of openings: 1
CHAMPS Oncology is dedicated to improving patient care by delivering and transforming high-quality cancer data into actionable information for cancer programs and healthcare providers across the country. Unlike traditional staffing companies, CHAMPS Oncology’s team of highly skilled cancer information specialists and experienced certified tumor registrars have been providing customized strategies and solutions for complete outsourcing, supplemental abstracting and cancer program consulting for more than 40 years. CHAMPS specializes in developing and delivering comprehensive registry solutions, achieving abstracting accuracy, advising clients on the Commission on Cancer accreditation process, implementing registry quality standards, providing continuous education to staff, capturing data for NAPBC accreditation and providing cancer data analytics utilizing insight2oncology. CHAMPS is honored to be named as one of ERC’s NorthCoast 99 List.
Our Cancer Information Specialists:
As a CHAMPS Oncology Cancer Information Specialist, Abstracting Focus, you will be responsible for managing cancer patient databases and recording information that may be used to help detect cancer earlier, improve treatments and increase survival rates. You will examine medical and pathology records to determine patient eligibility for the cancer registry as well as make abstracts of medical records by translating medical terminology into standardized codes that record the patient’s diagnosis and treatment information.
The responsibility of this position is managing specialized work efficiently, with confidence and competence. The position requires above average attention to details, concern for the exact correctness of work, and strong commitment to complete cases on time. A somewhat faster-than-average pace will be the norm for this position. Detailed, specialized work is the major focus. The position will provide security in a stable work environment, allowing the person to plan for, focus on and complete assignments.
- Responsible for functions relating to cancer information management within the scope of services as outlined in the designated contracts.
- Maintains working knowledge of cancer program reporting activities (i.e. cancer committee, survey readiness & Commission on Cancer preparation function, etc), in accordance with the current CoC standards Manual.
- Performs data collection (abstracting) and reporting on eligible cancer cases in accordance with current state mandates and national accrediting agencies.
- Assigns codes to the collected data set items in accordance with current state and national accrediting agencies.
- Performs case ascertainment in accordance with current state and national accrediting agencies.
- Responsible to maintain compliance procedures to obtain information (follow-up) on progress of cancer patients.
- Prepares cancer registry reports and/or studies within required guidelines and/or timelines.
- Maintains cancer registry files in accordance with current state and national accrediting agencies.
Who we’re looking for:
- The person in this position will take work seriously, has a strong sense of duty, and is disciplined. The person in this position will appreciate clearly defined scope of work, responsibilities, and reporting relationships, ongoing and thorough training opportunities to develop expertise and increase confidence, and frequently expressed appreciation of the person’s competence, conscientiousness, and loyalty.
- We require the credential as a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) in good standing with the National Cancer Registrars Association. Previous experience required. Preferably 3+ years.