Campaign Representative – International Climate and Policy at Sierra Club
Campaign Representative – International Climate and Policy
Location: Remote / Flexible
# of Openings1
Job Title: Campaign Representative – International Climate and Policy
Reports To: Senior Director, International Climate and Policy Campaign
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Campaign Representative plans and implements the strategies and activities of the International Climate and Policy campaign to address structural racism and inequity through our work to combat the climate crisis, which includes movement building internationally, diaspora engagement and just transition by building transformative relationships for social and economic justice. The International Climate and Policy Campaign’ plays an integral role as a part of the global network fighting coal and fossil fuels, works to support funding mechanisms for community based clean energy access and growth, stopping financial institutions from funding fossil fuel projects, supporting US and International policy initiatives that will create conditions for success for our partners on the ground, and engages in movement building through diaspora engagement. The Sierra Club is seeking a strategic, collaborative, equity-driven leader who is committed to modeling the Jemez Principles and centering organizational Equity Values to lead this work. The Campaign Representative is responsible for the planning, coordination, and implementation of the International Climate and Policy Campaign. This role collaborates with and coordinates with Sierra Club capacities, including communications, digital strategy, federal policy, organizing, volunteers, and partner organizations. Develops strategies, coordinates implementation plans and communicates priorities and benchmarks, provides leadership, promotes participation, and reports on campaign effectiveness to assigned National staff. Represents the Sierra Club to government officials, the media, business and community leaders, allies and other organizations, and the public.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Plans and carries out activities for the International Climate and Policy campaign. This includes participating in the development of a strategic campaign plan, goals and objectives and working with the campaign and appropriate national and Chapter staff, allies and volunteer entities to plan and implement campaigns to achieve results.
- In collaboration with the Sierra Club stakeholders listed above, engages key partners, decision makers and their influencers to assure advancement of International Climate and Policy Campaign’s priorities.
- Monitors, analyzes, and evaluates policies, initiatives and new developments around the financial sector, global decision making bodies and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) projects.
- Supports and provides professional expertise to staff, volunteers, and partners and works to develop and ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the campaign.
- In coordination with the Communications Department, serves as a Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes media exposure for front-line communities and volunteers. Writes, edits, and reviews educational and advocacy materials and represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies.
- In coordination with the Advancement Department, assists with donor communications.
- Reports on progress toward established goals and the effectiveness of campaign strategies.
- Introduces creative ideas and approaches for consideration.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed and in collaboration with the Senior Director of the International Climate and Policy Campaign.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Experience in the planning and implementation of campaigns, which includes strategy, organizing, media relations and contacts with political and business leaders.
- Familiarity with and commitment to incorporating principles of equity, inclusion, and justice into campaign processes and outcomes. Understanding of how power, privilege, and oppression manifest at the individual, interpersonal, and team levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers and partners.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- B.A. /B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Finance, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge and deep understanding of global LNG markets. Knowledge of the global oil and gas industry, its impacts on water, air, climate and communities, and the associated financial framework that enables it.
- Comfort using a variety of in person and online/virtual tools for team building and facilitation
- Able to travel as needed.
- Valid driver’s license, and satisfactory driving record.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $68,500 for region 1 non-negotiable.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 4 exempt represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., B.A. Philosophy), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.