Book Cover Designer
- Austin, TX – Remote OK
At Scribe, we’re growing, and we need great creatives to design our book covers. You can see some of them here.
We’re looking to bring on world-class cover designers for freelance work. We’ll start initially on a per-project basis so we can BOTH decide whether if we’re a good fit for each other, and there may be the potential to join in the future as a full-time Tribe member.
We’re looking for someone with book cover design experience. Must-have qualifications are technical proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, as well as experience producing print products.
Most of all, we’re on the hunt for an original thinker who can both dream big and work intelligently in order to make great concepts a reality for our Authors.
If you can nail all the above, you’re probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book. The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it. We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional). And if you can’t afford our services, that’s fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it’s called Scribe Book School, and it’s better than any paid course on the internet.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn’t have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people–smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful. These people want to write books, but don’t have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that’s why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world. Our process has worked for over 1200 authors in five years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book. If we do that, we’ll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That’s really exciting to us.
You In? Awesome, here’s the details:
- Anywhere in the world. If we decide later to work together full-time, you must be based in or willing to relocate to Austin, Texas.
Type of Employment
- Freelance first, potentially moving to full-time.
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this job. Most importantly, we are hiring based on careful balance of relevant experience, cultural fit, and motivation:
- Extensive Design Skills: We are more concerned about your design skills than your resume. If your portfolio is good, we’re willing to give you a try, regardless of experience or credentials.
- You Are Organized & Task Oriented: This is not a job for something who is sloppy with details. You will be juggling multiple design projects at once, and you’ll have to be able to get things done and keep up with your projects.
- You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don’t want someone who has to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do, DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people. Authors rely on you. [NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means results. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn’t excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.]
Pay & Perks:
- Competitive Pay: $1500 per cover freelance (for paperback + ebook covers; bonus pay for hardcover and/or audiobook versions)
- Be Connected To A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a Tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc. We interact with our freelancers in the same way.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (still under 50 full time), and you will be a major part of the projects you work on. Not only that, you won’t just impact the company, you’ll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think–and you’ll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You’re not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.