Bilingual – Cancer Support Specialist at American Cancer Society
Bilingual – Cancer Support Specialist – Remote
Job ID: 29075
Functional Area: Call Center
Position Type: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Experience Required: 1 – 3 Years
Department: National Cancer Information Center
Education Required: Bachelors Degree
This position is remote in the U.S. and will start on January 10, 2022.
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, we’re leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. We actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds including communities of color, the LGBTQ community, veterans, and people with disabilities. The greater the diversity of our people, the better we can serve our communities.
The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our lifesaving mission. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
The Cancer Support Specialist (CSS) assists American Cancer Society constituents with requests for ACS programs & services, resources, material orders and a broad range of general inquiries. The CSS matches constituents to national resource support leading to improved quality of life for cancer patients who are referred or contact the Society. The CSS demonstrates exceptional relationship building skills to develop trust and loyalty between callers and the American Cancer Society. This position is critical to the promotion and enhancement of the Society’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Handles high volume of patient related and general constituent contacts in a consistent and customer focused manner ensuring total constituent satisfaction
- Takes complete ownership of constituent inquiries, identifies and evaluates constituent needs while providing an accurate and thorough information exchange
- Systematically researches options and provides patients, caregivers, healthcare professionals, students and members of community organization with information regarding ACS programs and services, other cancer-related resources, as well as general inquiries
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with patients, field staff, volunteers, and health care systems through courteous, timely and professional service
- Documents all data points in the customer relationship management database required by organizational processes and policies
- Strives for first contact resolution and skillfully provides process expectations to support overall customer experience
- Coordinates ACS transportation, lodging and support programs to remove barriers to care and help patients complete treatment
- Triages requests to internal groups and escalates complex issues to the appropriate knowledgeable resource
- Fulfills material orders
- Utilizes software, databases and procedures appropriately
- Meets established performance management metrics and goals
- Handles all interactions with tact, courtesy and empathy while assesses the caller’s emotional status and promotes psycho-social support resources as needed
- Maintains current knowledge of work related processes and policies
- Maintains a cohesive team environment and utilizes coaching and feedback to improve performance
- Reports problems related to callers, operations, telephone system and/or system hardware/software to appropriate resource
- Abides by ACS policies, procedures, and security requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Contact center and/or customer service experience desirable
- Work from home experience desirable
Demonstrates NCIC Mission Delivery Competencies: Being resilient, Communicates effectively, Customer focus, Decision quality, Ensures accountability, Interpersonal savvy.
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills required
- Demonstrated written communication skills required
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Strong customer service orientation
- Bilingual skills (Spanish/English) desirable
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter with initiative and follow-through, with the ability to work in an extremely fast paced team environment with attention to detail
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technology and tools
- Basic familiarity with utilization of Microsoft Office Products (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Comfortable making independent decisions, but willing to seek supervisory input when needed
- Demonstrates the Society’s cultural beliefs of integrity, compassion, courage, determination and diversity
Work From Home Requirements:
- A space free of distractions with stable internet connectivity.
- Internet connection with a speed of at least 10 MBPS download & 2 MBPS upload.
- Modem/Router with a minimum of 2 ethernet ports, and accessible for direct plug in to your Desktop and Phone. Wi-fi connectivity is not permitted.
- Dedicated office space must be large enough to fit 2 monitors. Monitors are 22-inch wide screen monitors.
- Must pass a typing proficiency test of 50 WPM
- Must satisfactorily pass a technology assessment
- Must be able to provide proof of homeowners/renters insurance
The American Cancer Society will provide some of the technical hardware equipment for you to perform in your role including desktop computer, two 22 inch monitors, phone, headset, keyboard & mouse, webcam, surge protector, adapters and connectors, and miscellaneous supplies.
Work is conducted within a virtual Contact Center environment
No or very limited physical effort required
Available to work evenings, late nights, weekends, holidays or travel when required
The compensation range established for this position begins at a minimum of $16 per hour.* Actual starting pay may differ based on non-discriminatory factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, experience, skills, specialty, and education. *This rate is specific to Colorado.
The American Cancer Society has adopted a vaccination policy that requires all staff, regardless of position or work location, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (except where prohibited by state law).
ACS provides staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental, retirement benefits, wellness programs, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills. Further details on our benefits can be found on our careers site at: jobs.cancer.org/benefits. We are a proud equal opportunity employer.