Backend Software Engineer
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING
CareMessage is a non-profit dedicated to using mobile technology to improve healthcare outcomes for underserved patient populations. Since our patient engagement product launched in 2013, we have grown to work with over 200 healthcare organizations across the United States and have reached over 2 million lives.
Our web-based platform allows healthcare providers to reduce no-shows, increase attendance to preventive care screenings, and improve chronic disease management- all via simple “nudges” sent through text message. Besides improving the efficiency of the clinics that use our product, our impact has been shown through numerous clinical studies showing improvements in diabetes management and cancer screenings.
We have big goals in 2020: 1) Reach millions of patients on a monthly basis 2) Become profitable through a financially sustainable business model and 3) Build a diverse team that fully reflects the users it serves. We represent the next generation of healthcare technology organizations with an innovative product, business model, and remote-first organizational structure. Our long term goal is to impact healthcare outcomes globally.
To fund our growth we have raised over $21 million in funding from organizations like Google.org, William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, YCombinator, Schmidt Futures, Twilio.org, CVS Health Foundation, among others. In 2019 we became a remote-first company with ~50 people based across the United States and around the world.
- Company history
- Read a success story from a customer
- Check out our team culture on The Muse
- If you’re still wondering what a tech nonprofit is about, learn more from a member of our leadership team.
Who we are looking for…
Our team is looking for a Software Engineer with Ruby on Rails experience to help build and maintain our web platform that streamlines care management and delivers interactive mobile programs to improve health outcomes. You’ll be working on exciting projects like optimizing our Sidekiq queuing system, developing and building new integrations with Twilio, building our customer analytics code, and helping improve our API. Our engineering team follows agile principles in a test-driven development process. We are a remote-first team that values open collaboration and shared ownership.
Within one month you will…
- Understand and follow the engineering development process
- Learn and follow CareMessage’s coding standards
- Complete walk-through of all features your team owns and has working familiarity with their functionality
Within two months you will…
- Understand architectural design of projects owned by your team
- Be an active participant in all team meetings
- Take ownership of your tasks and provide feedback to PRs
- Be self-sufficient in completing your tasks
- Gain an understanding of the functional team structure (e.g. product lines, Project Leads, Product Managers, the features each team owns, etc)
Within three months you will…
- Participate in technical design of features
- Be able to provide on-call support for your area including systems you are not familiar with
- Begin to focus on attaining expertise in one or more areas (e.g., performance best practice, efficient use of data stores, etc.)
- Build and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable application code
- Ensure the highest possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Collaborate with engineering, QA, and product to ensure we provide a high-quality user experience for clinic staff across our apps and ensure our product scales as our user base grows
- 2.5+ years of professional web application engineering experience with Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL
- A deep understanding of Ruby and object-oriented programming
- Familiarity with important development concepts including MVC, ORM, functional programming, and RESTful APIs
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Familiarity with the healthcare industry and enterprise level application development
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools
- Competitive salary
- Affordable health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Option to contribute to a Flexible Spending Account
- Paid life, short term and long term disability insurance
- 13 wellness days to be used for anything that comes up in life or self-care
- 15 days of PTO per year and 1-month paid sabbatical on the 4th year
- 13 paid company holidays, including a winter break
- Sponsored annual membership to One Medical
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development Budget
We are committed to equal opportunity and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.