Associate General Counsel – Payments at GoFundMe
Associate General Counsel – Payments
Do you believe that people should compassionately support one another to create a better world? Well, we do!
Serving as the world’s most trusted fundraising platform, GoFundMe is committed to creating a better world by making it safe and easy for people to support causes they’re passionate about. When someone sees a need whether it’s in their neighborhood or across the globe they can turn their compassion into action through GoFundMe. Our customers have raised over $15 billion for their personal causes, making GoFundMe a top 200 website in the US based on traffic, with a monthly audience of over 100 million people.
While this is obviously very significant, we believe the opportunity to bring people together to help each other is orders of magnitude bigger; both in terms of financial magnitude and social impact. GoFundMe is completely focused on empowering more people around the world to help each other meet their needs, realize their dreams and improve their everyday lives. In short, GoFundMe aspires to become the most helpful place on earth.
To help enable us achieve this ambitious goal we have created a new role – Associate General Counsel, Payments. Our goal is to recruit a service-oriented self-starter with deep payments experience that has a passion for creating the greatest global giving network. This leader will be completely focused on helping us build a world class brand and community synonymous with help and expanding into adjacent sectors that increase our addressable market and fuel network effects.
There are significant opportunities to innovate in giving. While mobile and social have dramatically changed how we shop and communicate, a similar transformation is yet to happen for giving. This is GoFundMe’s opportunity. While we look to run a strong and efficient business, everything we do each day is about helping people. You can be the leader who helps GoFundMe have significantly more impact for many more people around the world!
- Support all things payments by providing timely practical legal advice on global payments and money transmission laws, rules and regulations including those relating to card processing, gift cards and other forms of stored value.
- Understand and advise on Anti Money-Laundering laws and regulations, including the EFTA/Reg E, NACHA and credit card network rules, FinCEN regulations, KYC obligations, emerging payment systems, and other regimes.
- Structure, draft and lead negotiations and review of agreements with payment and remittance partners and financial institutions.
- Provide ideas, solutions and insights on compliant new products that create meaningful impact our customers
- Work cross functionally with our compliance, product, finance, security, and payments teams as well as fellow legal counsel.
- Minimum of 6 years legal experience including at a leading law firm advising internet or technology companies on payments and licensing matters or as in-house counsel focused on payments/money transmission and regulatory compliance.
- Prior relationships with relevant state and federal regulatory agencies, a plus.
- Experience and understanding of global data privacy rules and regulations, a plus.
- Law degree (JD, LLB or equivalent) from an accredited US law school with excellent academic credentials
- Admission to and in good standing with the state bar of at least one U.S. state
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to stay calm under challenging circumstances
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and ability to work both in teams and independently
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
Why you’ll love it here
- Market competitive pay
- Rich healthcare benefits including employer paid premiums for medical/dental/vision (100% for employee only plans and 85% for employee + dependent plans) and employer HSA contributions.
- 401(k) retirement plan with company matching
- Hybrid workplace with fully remote flexibility for many roles
- Monetary support for new hire setup, hybrid work & wellbeing, family planning, and commuting expenses
- A variety of mental and wellness programs to support employees
- Generous paid parental leave and family planning stipend
- Supportive time off policies including vacation, sick/mental health days, volunteer days, company holidays, and a floating holiday
- Learning & development and recognition programs
- Gives Back Program where employees can nominate a fundraiser every week for a donation from the company
- Inclusion, diversity, equity, and belonging are vital to our priorities and we continue to evolve our strategy to ensure DEI is embedded in all processes and programs at GoFundMe. Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team is always finding new ways for our company to uphold and represent the experiences of all of the people in our organization.
- Employee resource groups
- Your work has a real purpose and will help change lives on a global scale.
- You’ll be a part of a fun, supportive team that works hard and celebrates accomplishments together.
- We live by our core values: consider everything, do the right thing, spread empathy, delight the customer, and give back.
- We are a certified Great Place to Work, are growing fast and have incredible opportunities ahead!