Associate Editor at Earth Island Institute
Hours: salaried position
Supervisor: Editor, Earth Island Journal
Earth Island Journal (www.earthislandjournal.org) is an award-winning environmental magazine published by Earth Island Institute, an organization that supports environmental activists and leaders working to protect the biological and cultural diversity that sustains our environment. Our magazine’s quarterly print and year-round online editions combine investigative journalism, thought-provoking commentary, art, and more to highlight the subtle but profound connections between the environment and other contemporary issues.
The Journal is looking for a part-time associate editor to join its small team.
- Review and solicit pitches from freelance writers.
- Edit across a variety of formats, from daily news stories, newsletters, and book reviews to long-form features.
- Conceive, report on, and write short news reports and feature stories for print and online editions.
- Work with editorial team to proofread print magazine.
- Help select photographs for online story layouts.
- Help produce bi-monthly Journal newsletter.
- Assist with other tasks as necessary.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience as an editor and writer, ideally in a journalistic setting.
- Deep knowledge of environmental issues.
- Ability to function independently and be self-motivated.
Please note: This is a part-time, 20 hours/week, non-exempt position.
Salary is $32,500/year, and benefits include medical, vision, dental, chiropractic, and paid vacation and sick leave pro-rated at 50 percent.
Location: Earth Island Institute’s offices are based in Berkeley, CA. The Journal team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, but has been working remotely during the Covid-19 pandemic. We will consider applicants outside the Bay Area, so long as they can work during standard West Coast business hours.
Work schedule to be determined.
To Apply: Please send your rsum, 2-3 editing and/or writing samples, and a cover letter expressing your interest in the position to email@example.com with Associate Editor in the subject line by June 20, 2022. People of color, women, LGBTQ+, and differently abled people are encouraged to apply.