Associate Director of Law and Policy at Voting Rights Lab
Associate Director of Law & Policy
- (Multiple states)
- Full Time
The Associate Director of Law & Policy manages the policy work for an assigned set of states and program areas. They collaborate with members of the Advocacy Department and outside thought leaders to craft state-specific, and program-specific policy solutions that increase voting rights, build towards VRL’s long term goals, and are politically possible in the given context.
In addition to proactive legislative and programmatic work, the Associate Director of Law & Policy also identifies and assesses the impact of legislative, and other policy, threats in states. They are responsible for designing and creating policy content for VRL’s campaign work, and for understanding the impact of each policy and its variations.
This position reports to the Senior Director of State and Federal Policy. This is a completely remote position. Candidates across the country are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as policy expert for designated states and, In collaboration with the Advocacy Department, identify and develop policy solutions and priorities for each assigned state and program area that are politically feasible and build towards VRL’s long term goals.
- Design and deliver policy content for VRL’s campaign work, including
- Draft legislation, amendments, executive actions, regulations, and guidance that merge strong policy with political reality
- Internal documents translating complicated concepts into plain English, such as bill summaries and descriptions of policy impact
- External documents, such as branded fact sheets, that concurrently persuade and inform the intended audience
- Adapting documents and policy arguments for a wide variety of audiences, including colleagues, partners, and elected officials and influencers from across the political spectrum
- Develop deep expertise in voting rights policy, including a comprehensive understanding of
- The impact of each policy, and how variations in the law affect that impact
- How elections work on the ground in each assigned state; and
- Available research and data on voting rights issues.
- Collaborate with Senior Legislative Counsel to identify and develop internal legal research projects to be completed by Legislative Counsel to support and inform VRL’s advocacy efforts
- Identify and assess threats in each assigned state and program area
- Talk to partners and lobbyists as needed to explain policy and understand political and policy implications
- In collaboration with the Advocacy Department, design implementation strategies to ensure our legislative successes translate into real world change
- Manage two Legislative Counsel to operate by VRL’s values and theory of change
What we are looking for in you:
- 4 to 6 years of relevant experience developing policy and legislation. Law degree preferred but not required
- Experience analyzing, interpreting, and drafting legislative language.
- Ability to articulate legal concepts and other complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences, including conservative and moderate
- Strong preference for candidates who have familiarity with election laws and experience working on voting rights issues.
- The ability to produce consistent, quality work in a fast-paced environment- managing multiple projects simultaneously and adjusting to frequently changing demands.
- Experience working with diverse communities and committed to acting on the belief that racial equity and social justice are critical components of our work.
Compensation & Benefits:
The salary range for Associate Director of Law & Policy is $99,000 – $132,000.
At this time, we provide the following benefits for eligible employees:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance that is 100% employer funded
- Access to NVF-funded health reimbursement account (HRA) to help offset co-pay, deductible, and vision/dental expenses
- 401(k) retirement plan, with up to 3% employer match
- Generous paid time off package, including 5 weeks vacation leave and 2 weeks personal leave, in addition to paid holidays and other PTO opportunities
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Base-term life and accidental death and dismemberment (ADD) insurance, with an employee buy-up option
- Flexible spending account for medical and dependent care
- Additional benefits including work from home benefits, cell phone benefits, and fitness benefits
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Voting Rights Lab is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Part of VRL’s mission is to ensure that people with records of arrest or conviction can vote. As such, we give full and fair consideration to all applicants, regardless of a past record of arrest or conviction.
New Venture Fund (NVF) has extended its work-from-home and essential travel requirements through July 31, 2021. All employees must continue to work from home, and work travel remains restricted to essential, pre-approved travel only. In considering this extension, our main priority remained and will continue to be the safety of all employees. We want to ensure that you are able to impact the world in a meaningful way while staying healthy and well. NVF has also provided COVID-19 leave which staff can request to manage any COVID-19-related needs such as if they or a household member is sick, if they are unable to find childcare, and other needs.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!