Assistant Vice President, Financial Reporting at Sun Life Financial
AVP, Financial Reporting
- Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts, U.S. Employees (Remote), Kansas City, Missouri
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
The AVP, Financial Reporting reports to the VP, Controller. This role is responsible for three main business objectives:
- Oversee the completion of timely and accurate statutory quarterly and annual statements and all related filings, including explanations of results to internal and external customers, and filing of all supplemental reports.
- Effective management annual IFRS, Statutory and US GAAP financial audits as well as periodic regulatory/compliance audits.
- Ensure compliance with SOX 404 and NAIC Model Audit Rule and oversee the coordination of the annual SOX testing plan.
This role requires an individual with a proven track record of leading high quality teams that achieve high customer satisfaction and business goals with expert knowledge of accounting and finance systems and processes.
As a member of U.S. Controller’s team, key accountabilities include, directing day to day operations of Financial Reporting function as follows:
- Provide leadership and oversight to a team of approximately 18 professionals.
- Manage the completion of timely and accurate statutory quarterly and annual statements and all related filings, including explanations of results to internal and external customers, and filing of all supplemental reports.
- Manage the completion of timely and accurate files of USGAAP statements for certain non-insurance entities as well as the Company’s pension and 401k plans.
- Responsible for the financial statement analysis, which includes significant internal management quarterly deliverables that explain not only changes in our historical results but also emerging earnings trends.
- Manage the completion of state examinations for all insurance companies.
- Interpret IFRS, GAAP and Statutory guidelines, including NAIC pronouncements, and determine their effect on financial reporting matters as well as managing their implementation.
- Partner with and support other finance teams, business unit teams and various other partners as needed.
- Manage annual IFRS, Statutory, and USGAAP financial audits as well as periodic regulatory/compliance audits.
- Liaises with external auditors, external and internal legal counsel and other internal constituents on accounting and reporting matters.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining relationships with state regulators with respect to all regulatory questions, ensuring that all issues and questions are responded to appropriately and timely.
- Maintain and improve Company’s internal control system to ensure a successful outcome of SOX testing and opinion, including overseeing the Company’s balance sheet reconciliation and verification process.
- Establish business partner relationship with other organization functions; perceived as an accounting expert within the organization; mentors non-financial people on financial and system issues where appropriate.
- Establish strong working relationships with financial leadership and colleagues and key personnel of interfacing departments, as well as with SLF Corporate Finance teams.
- Manage and mentor the Reporting Department’s personnel; build and sustain a highly capable and engaged team and foster a team-centered culture wholly consistent with that of the US Controller’s team and the US Business Group.
- Minimum of 15 years of progressively increasing experience in a large public institution, including responsibilities related to quarterly reporting (Statutory), annual audits, regulatory compliance, Internal controls, and implementation of complex accounting guidance.
- BS in accounting, finance, or other similarly related field of study.
- CPA or CA professional designation with Big Four experience required.
- Capable of quickly gaining a strong understanding of the operations and finances of the US Business Group and its integrated strategic plan.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate, plan, and manage a large accounting issue or project and/or strategic initiative that involves accounting (e.g. acquisition), including: identifying requirements, identifying and coordinating with key stakeholders, developing and managing a timeline, summarizing and presenting on findings or conclusions.
- Strong accounting, analysis, and reporting skills and a deep understanding of GAAP, IFRS, NAIC, SOX 404, and SEC reporting rules and requirements, including those relevant to the insurance industry.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) as well as other financial software packages including: Oracle/Hyperion, Statement Pro, and Tableau applications.
- Possesses a continuous-improvement mind-set. Tackles challenges and issues with a fresh approach; is creative and thinks out of the box.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; good listening capability; skilled at clearly and concisely communicating with all constituencies; can structure and effectively lead business meetings.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; success at cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all levels within the organization.
- Strong change management skills, able to drive the implementation of best practices and influence others to make or adjust to change.
- Ability to coach and provide good development feedback.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, credibility and professionalism. Quickly builds confidence in others. Team player who understands his/her role in relationship to others.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!