Assistant Opinion Editor at USA TODAY
Assistant Opinion Editor
- Req #16274
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly-owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
USA TODAY is seeking an assistant Opinion editor to work on editorials and commentary and coach writers on alternative storytelling.
This editor would also help to oversee project work.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to edit and conceive top-notch opinion journalism; to deeply understand digital audiences; and to press for innovation in digital content and experiences. A successful assistant editor will be able to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment. Preferred candidates will have prior experience covering or directing coverage of criminal justice.
This is a part-time position and may involve occasional evening or weekend work. Remote candidates will be considered.
- Use metrics and analytics to increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with co-workers.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!