Art Director at CodeCombat
Help build amazing new game-based learning experiences for students around the world! CodeCombat’s new Computer Science program, CodeCombat Worlds, teaches kids how to code through exploring a 3D fantasy game world on the Roblox platform with their classmates, friends, and pets. As Art Director, you will be responsible for managing the art production process for CodeCombat Worlds, collaborating with internal game designers, learning designers, engineers, and an external game art studio to refine the game’s aesthetics and create exciting new content.
If you have significant art direction experience and are excited about realizing the potential of education through game-based learning, then we want to hear from you!
This is a 100% remote, part-time contract role. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply from around the world.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a remote, outsourced art team by providing task descriptions, art prompts, and feedback
- Collaborate with a high-level, creative worldbuilding team, alongside experienced game designers and educators
- Establish/maintain visual style and asset functionality
- Collaborate with the design team to create new game locations, characters, and props that support the design and learning goals for new content
- Oversee and maintain the CodeCombat Worlds unique visual style from blue sky concept to in-game implementation
- Tell inclusive, visual stories that appeal to diverse audiences
- Field occasional in-game art asset requests for our 2D web game platforms that differ in look and feel (CodeCombat & Ozaria)
- Collaborate with engineering and game design to troubleshoot art asset UI/UX problems and pipeline bugs
- Help build future art teams for the company
Who You Are
- Success guiding an art team and collaborating with engineering and game design on long-term projects
- Strong communication and writing skills, documentation skills, ability to collaborate across time zones
- Experience shipping and maintaining live 3D games
- Experience using 3D modeling tools like Blender and 2D editing tools like Photoshop
- Self-directed with strong organizational skills
- Experience managing and giving feedback to outsourced teams and contractors
- Ability to translate story prompts and learning goals into game environments and characters
- Ability to guide UI/UX design to establish a consistent look and feel across the entire in-game experience
- Self-starter with a strong desire to take the initiative to improve the product
- Responsible, motivated, and flexible
Bonus Points (nice to have, but not required)
- Ability to create concept art for characters, creatures, environments, levels, etc.
- Experience with low-poly art direction
- Experience with art direction for the Roblox platform
- Experience with 2D & 2.5D engines and creating web assets
- UI/UX design experience: contribute to UI/UX iteration on new and existing features, design UI assets, and create implementation guides for engineers
- Passion for making education more engaging through game-based learning, or experience working on an educational game/application
Who We Are
CodeCombat is building a new way for K-12 students and at-home learners to learn how to code, using real programming languages to explore adventure games. Students learn how to write functions to control their hero avatars, implement puzzle-solving strategies, and code their own games. We are committed to researching, experimenting, and iterating new ways to marry education with fun for students worldwide.
We are a small, determined, and tight-knit startup dedicated to providing an enjoyable, meaningful place to work. Team members pursue a healthy work/life balance with flexible working hours. All of our team members work remotely from all around the world, with concentrations in San Francisco and Beijing.
Our work is purposeful.
We bring our personal best every day, because our game-based learning can be life-changing for young people.
Strength comes from interdependence.
We recognize that each of us is central to the mission of CodeCombat. We know our differences create strength and resilience. We engage one another with respect for who we are, not only what we do. We create community with intention, because we need each other–and because it’s fun.
Kind, not just “nice”.
We don’t let fear of not being “nice” get in the way of the direct communication that underpins healthy relationships. We build strong connections through honest dialogue, even when the conversations are difficult.
Structure can be liberating.
Transparent processes let us focus on making the right decisions–and they create channels for diverse voices to speak. Eliminate information silos and shadow structures; create known communication channels and clear responsibilities.
We can operate at any speed.
We’re thoughtful about how fast we go. We pay attention when the lights change. Sometimes we walk.
Learning and growth go hand-in-hand.
Every experience is an opportunity to learn, and our team is growing every day. When we think we know it all, it means we have more to learn.
CodeCombat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please include a short cover letter & portfolio with your application
Compensation: $40 – $66 / hr depending on experience and location
Want Access to 30,000+ More Remote and Flexible Jobs?
Part-time to full-time,
freelance to employee
More Career Fields
career coaching & more