Architectural Product Specification Editor/Writer
Deltek+Avitru, is hiring experienced architectural specifiers to help grow our Product MasterSpec library, a collection of high-quality, three-part open proprietary specifications based on MasterSpec, the leading master guide specification system in the US. Owned by the American Institute of Architects and published by Deltek+Avitru, MasterSpec sections are used as the basis for more than 60% of building design documents in the United States.
As an Architectural Product MasterSpec Specification Editor/Writer, you will help building product manufacturers develop open proprietary guide specification sections spanning primarily Divisions 01 through 14, 31, and 32. In this capacity, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Adapt existing MasterSpec sections to create Basis-of-Design specifications for selected client manufacturers and their products, following CSI three-part format, the MasterSpec Writer’s Template, and internal processes for technical and editorial review of content.
- Write Basis-of-Design specifications for sections not included in the MasterSpec library, determining MasterFormat numbering and researching relevant sources including: product literature, manufacturers’ websites, industry standards, trade association and professional society publications, reference materials, and model building codes.
- Advise manufacturer clients on best practices in specification writing, and review and respond to their feedback on the open proprietary/Basis-of-Design sections, assuring adherence to CSI and AIA MasterSpec conventions. Conduct training and editing sessions with manufacturer representatives via video conference.
- Work with Sales team to determine the suitability of products for inclusion in the Product MasterSpec and MasterSpec libraries, and advise as to proper section placement. Review manufacturer products based on listed criteria for acceptance into MasterSpec, subject matter expertise, and knowledge of specification writing conventions.
- Review product submissions in SpecAgent database to verify compliance with Product Type description and performance criteria. Approve submissions in compliance, request more information to complete review, or submit reasons for declining submission.
- When required, guide work of external consultants, providing support in performing the above tasks.
- Collaborate with other Deltek+Avitru departments on initiatives such as enhancement of cloud-based product-submission platforms, providing input as requested.
- Make presentations and write thought leadership pieces related to the subject matter of assigned specification sections.
Registered architect or CSI certified professional. CSI CDT required with CCS and/or CCCA certification(s) preferred. LEED AP certification is preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in building construction.
- Experience must include working in building construction settings for firms specializing in architecture, engineering, construction management, specification consulting, or program management.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience editing or writing specification sections required.
- Must be collaborative, open to working in new ways, and able to provide constructive feedback.
- Experience working with others in a team setting, and managing projects.
- Must have the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time and the ability to professionally deal with colleagues and customers across disciplines.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel, and online meeting software. Experience with BIM, Revit, and other A/E industry tools desired.
Better software means better projects. Deltek is the leading global provider of enterprise software and information solutions for professional services, management and IT consulting, architecture and engineering, marketing and advertising agencies, government contractors and other project-based businesses. More than 23,000 organizations and millions of users in over 80 countries around the world rely on Deltek for superior levels of project intelligence, management and collaboration to research and identify opportunities, win new business, recruit and develop talent, optimize resources and streamline operations. Our industry-focused expertise powers project success by helping firms achieve performance that maximizes productivity and revenue.