Actuarial Director – Life and Health Experience Studies & Projections-ACT0000LH
Supervisory Position: Yes
An exciting opportunity to help drive innovation as a member of CNA’s Long Term Care Actuarial team! As a technical expert, leads the actuarial experience studies and asset liability modeling efforts for the LTC division which are used for reserves and asset adequacy testing and strategic business decisions. A successful candidate will be technically strong, detail-oriented and have strong organization and project management skillsets.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs the work activities and has full management responsibilities for the coaching, performance, and development of a staff of credentialed and non-credentialed actuaries and business analysts
- Performs complex actuarial calculations and manages the annual assumption/reserve review process to determine the appropriate level of reserves and assets needed to support the LTC division
- Analyze trends in financial and historical experience data to help drive recommendations for actuarial assumptions and strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to gather insights on trends influencing the assumption setting process and to make key strategic business decisions, including, but not limited to the, Operations, Claims, Pricing, Investments, Enterprise Risk Management and Finance teams.
- Develop process improvements in order to gain efficiencies and execution of automatic controls; creating well organized repeatable and auditable processes.
- Prepares or coordinates the preparation of standard reports, as well as, special reports for management.
- May assist in special projects and other key initiatives.
- May perform additional duties as assigned.
Vice President or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of core functions of an insurance company, general insurance, actuarial and statistical concepts.
- Advanced actuarial technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA’s internal and external business partners.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to effectively resolve complex situations and issues
- Solid project management, organization, and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and make critical business decisions effectively within scope of authority based on data analyses and reviews.
- Ability to solve issues with a sense of urgency; utilizes and manages the available resources to make informed decisions and achieve superior results.
- Ability to creatively and effectively manage through ambiguous and challenging problems, leads through change and takes appropriate levels of risk.
- Ability to comprehend business data and metrics and to further articulate analyses of actuarial data within internal reports.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, data programing language (preferred R, Python or Alteryx) and other business-related software systems (GGY-AXIS and Tableau), including processing systems and applications.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Actuarial Science or equivalent discipline.
- Typically a minimum of 10 years of related work experience, preferably in the LTC or DI industry.
- Typically has their Fellowship designation (FSA).
- Predictive analytic modeling experience is preferred.
EEO Statement: CNA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse work culture. M/F/D/V.
ERM/LTC-Long Term Care