Associate Counsel – Commercial Transactions at Notarize
Associate Counsel – Commercial Transactions
- REMOTE /
- LEGAL /
Notarize is improving the way businesses and individuals execute the most important transactions of their lives. Our B2B2C platform has grown exponentially over the past few months, as companies across a wide variety of industries – including real estate, investment/retirement, insurance, healthcare, and wealth management – look to us to help their customers get crucial legal transactions processed securely and remotely. We’ve had a huge surge in inbound interest, so we’re growing our legal team to help meet this rising demand.
As an integral part of our lean legal power team, you’ll report directly to our General Counsel and work closely with “client teams” across the organization – from Product and Engineering to Sales, Marketing, and Senior Leadership.
The Notarize Legal team is fully distributed across the United States, so this is a remote/work from home role, but please note travel to the Boston office will be expected at least once per quarter in the future when the COVID-19 pandemic has passed.
As our Associate Counsel, you will:
- Structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of contracts, including sales, licensing, marketing, professional services and NDA’s
- Partner with business and technical teams to lead, negotiate and finalize commercial agreements. Concisely explain legal terms, identify related risks and set and execute tactics to achieve the most favorable, risk-mitigated results.
- Monitor and update contracts required to comply with state and federal law, regulatory or plan requirements
- Triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently
- Lead and support the continual effort to streamline the contracting process by improving existing contract templates, playbooks and processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability.
- Conduct due diligence on third party service providers.
- Be a utility player. As needed, take on opportunities and add value in practice areas beyond commercial transactions
- Stay current on industry, commercial, intellectual property, open source, privacy and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice
What we’re looking for:
- A JD with 5+ years and admitted and in good standing in any US jurisdiction
- Work experience as either an inhouse attorney in a fast paced technology focused company or working for client’s of similar background.
- Significant corporate transaction experience, negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts with a focus on technology or software-related agreements.
- Comfort drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, such as MSAs, NDAs, SOWs and other agreements.
- Ability to translate between business and technical risk and communicate clearly to business and technical partners within the organization.
- Demonstrated startup initiative – ability to self-manage, find creative ways to work through barriers, actively learn necessary skills, and manage projects to completion with minimal supervision.
- Proven communication and presentation skills – ability to collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders (internal teams, customers, regulators, partners, etc.) on legal and regulatory compliance issues
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions
- Fun & easily accessible location (Back Bay, right near the Pru) (when the office is actually open, which it hopefully be will be at some point this fall)
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people’s lives. It’s a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don’t presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We’d love to hear from you.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!